Battery drain issues post upgrading to Windows 11

Copper Contributor

Hi, I have got a Dell XPS laptop (16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz) and to my knowledge this has one of the better battery life (approx. 7-8 hours post charging) and when you close the laptop and open it on the next day, it just consumes approx. 2% battery only.  This is all good with Windows 10. But when I received my Windows 11 update things went for a toss. Interface looks awesome, navigating through them is also awesome. But then battery - no it was worrisome !

I had my laptop full charged and as usual I left it as it is. Then to my surprise it drained out completely and I had to recharge it full again. When I looked over the Battery Usage (thanks to Microsoft for the detailed usage pattern) it started to drain after a certain time. None of the tasks were running, I had shut down my Oracle, SQL Services, closed my Edge, Chrome browsers, etc., services, still no luck. 

I know this is a issue reported by many users across the globe, and the steps to minimize the battery drain (provided in Bing/ Google search) aren't the effective ones. They are just to optimize your battery consumption and not to avoid your battery drain issue. Many others have written go back to Windows 10, but then why take all the effort to upgrade to Windows 11 and get awestruck with its interface.

I know its all early days of roll-out and I hope Microsoft definitely has a way to fix this issue.  Here is the look of my battery usage post charging and leaving it idle overnight. 

If anyone has the same issue and would like to take this to Microsoft, please have a look at my battery usage levels as well.

Thanks

29 Replies
I am having the same issues. I am draining from 100% - 80% in less than half an hour now. Will be recommending people not upgrade to windows 11 for now :\

Dell XPS 7590
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz

@AravindS2190 Can't even go back to windows 10. This is very frustrating. Microsoft should either fix this asap or allow users to revert back to win 10

This issue's been happening to me since the first official release of Windows 11. Had faith in Microsoft that they'd make this problem a top priority, but it's still going until now.

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 (2019)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
Has windows fixed this problem yet? My ACER battery is not recharging. And I haven't even installed Windows 11 yet for fear it sill ruin my laptop completely.
I highly suggest you stay at windows 10 for now.

@Joey_Wilhelm this is your opinion and should not be promoted.  Win11 is fine.  I had an issue with power options.

The reason why I stuck with win11 even after the 10 day trial - I love everything about it. the power issue is the only thing that bugs me and I'm only giving a suggestion to others with laptops in case they might experience the same issue.
Check your power options very closely.

It's set to balanced now. Anything I should do to fix it? Might do the things tomorrow since it's almost midnight in my timezone

We may not have the same issue as mine Surface Book was going black and I thought it was the battery. It wasn't the battery at all, it was "put the computer to sleep" when on battery. Good luck.

Ah, it's a different issue. I did once experience that issue of yours on my old family laptop though, back in 2015 in middleschool, after I got a virus in it :face_with_tears_of_joy:

My problem is just the battery life. It went from 3-4 hours (normal usage for school) in win10, to just 45 minutes-1hour in win11. I've searched other microsoft support threads and it seems that a lot of people are experiencing the same thing. Most of their problems are fixed *by downgrading back to windows 10 until further notice by microsoft. The whole situation here is basically just me trying to help others too :beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes:

EDIT: Really? Emojis dont work here? >.>

Thanks, i am going to.

A few days ago I bought a Lenovo laptop which has the configuration:

•  Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10210U CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.11 GHz Installed
  • RAM 8.00 GB (7.84 GB usable) 
  • Storage 128NVMe SSD + 1TB WD HDD
  • GPU None

At windows 10 I get battery backup for almost 7-8 hours but after upgrading to windows 11 is reduced to 2.5-3 hours :suprised: I tried too many tips from google nothing can work. There have many bugs also that is difficult for tech people then I switch to windows 10 again. 

@mushfiqrahman 

I have the exact problem with my Lenovo Slim 7 Pro Ryzen 9. I used to get about 8h of use on battery on Windows 10 but as soon as I upgraded to Windows 11, the battery got down to less than 3 hours. Totally unusable and reverted asap. I also got into a problem with widgets as they only worked during the first boot-up and after that constantly conusmed 7% of CPU, kicking upp my fans. I will try to upgrade in a couple of months to see if the issue has been resolved. For now, staying with Windows 10...

6 months update:

Given the course of time and daily updates released by Microsoft I thought the battery drain issue would have got resolved. But it still remains the same and absolutely no improvement. Wondering whom else we need to report this? If this is a common problem across all of Win 11 users, what's additionally required by Microsoft to fix this battery drain issue before laptop gets spoilt???

Thanks

Aravind S

Details of battery usage:

Battery Level - 6 months update - Last 7 daysBattery Level - 6 months update - Last 7 daysBattery Level - 6 months update - Last 24 hoursBattery Level - 6 months update - Last 24 hoursBattery Level - 6 months update - SettingsBattery Level - 6 months update - Settings

This issue doesn't affect all devices and it is recommended to file a report using Feedback Hub app , so you could send log files and Microsoft investigate it.
In addition, you may report this issue to your device's manufacturer support.

@Reza_Ameri 

Yes I agree with you that this does not apply to all devices - I think that users do not properly implement updates, and do not delete the cache from folder C, lack of optimization can also be the cause of these problems!

Migrating to Windows11 requires a lot of time and power on outside of active hours.    

Achieve better patch compliance with Update Connectivity data - Windows IT Pro Blog (microsoft.com)

Hi @A1 My device is always up to date and the latest KB that's installed today is KB5011563. Can you please tell me what other updates you think I am missing which may be causing this battery issue, like a KB number would be helpful? I can go back and check if there is any particular KB missing.

And regarding your other point which I didn't quiet get "users do not delete the cache from folder C". Could you please brief me about what is this and how is this impacting the "battery" usage?

The issue we all have reported / reporting is the usage / running of Apps behind the scenes despite the fact that they are all optimized. And you have also mentioned this is not affecting all devices and I am sure your device is "not affected" and you are having splendid battery life with Windows 11 migration given the time and power you have spent outside of active hours.
Can you tell me the device configuration of yours please? With which I can go back to my manufacturer and ask what could have / is going wrong? Given they advertised "Dell XPS" being the best of the lot is now worrying me a bit.

Thanks
Aravind S