AMD Ryzen 5 2500U and Windows 11 compatibility

Copper Contributor

I read the list of compatible cpu for Windows 11 and I noted that AMD Ryzen 5 2500U is not in the list.

This is a fairly recent CPU as it was released Oct 26th, 2017 and my computer was bought new in April 2019! 

Is there a process currently utilized by Microsoft to receive requests to revise the list as this specific cpu may have missed the compatiblity list for some reason.

I noted that there are many users wanting to upgrade their computer with this specific CPU around the world that are in the same situation and can't upgrade to Windows 11.

Looking forward to a feedback about this one !

34 Replies
Same problem here on a HP ENVY x360 - 15-bq100nl
Bought on 21-July-2018
it's still a powerful and useful processor, personally I think it's wrong and a too short lifecycle decide to thrash it away from windows 11 !!!

Please consider to add it into the list of win11 supported processor, thanks.

Hello Everyone,

I did the windows 11 upgrade on my Huawei Matebook D 14 - with Ryzen 5 2500U. I did this by replacing the appraissers.dll file in the Windows 11 setup and running it from my licensed windows 10 machine to upgrade. (This dll bypasses the requirement of specific CPU) Entire process took around 2-2.5 hours. Earlier one was windows 10 home  and upgrade is now windows 11 home. My files and applications were unaffected.

After upgrading to windows 11, I am able to receive the updates by microsoft without any issues.

My laptop heats up once in a while that was happening with windows 10 also, So I have no complaints at all. Windows 11 is faster and smoother than windows 10.

Good luck. Happy to answer any questions.

@dipenm85 

Hallo Dipenm85,

Thanks a lot for the feedback, it´s very helpfull 

Hi,

You may also use the Rufus to do a clean install or in place upgrade to 11, with the extended support without the requirements.

http://rufus.ie/

Also found below on reddit,

Accident or no accident,
you could upgrade to 11 RTM/Beta/Dev on unsupported PCs via Windows Update - since before release!

Two set-it-and-forget-it scripts facilitating it:

Skip_TPM_Check_on_Dynamic_Update.cmd v9
save as .cmd / .ps1 and run or simply copy-paste in a powershell window!

OfflineInsiderEnroll.cmd v2.6.3
save as .cmd and run as admin, then pick RP / Beta / Dev channel
I would like to let you know dev build 25136 runs fine on my E1-6010 with 4gbram. have a wonderful day!

@dipenm85 

Can you please put the following in simple terms (so I don't screw it up): "I did this by replacing the appraissers.dll file in the Windows 11 setup and running it from my licensed windows 10 machine to upgrade." 

I too have a fairly new Dell laptop with a Ryzen 5 2500u and would really like to upgrade to Windows 11. I think it would prove itself in the long run.

Thank you for your help! 

Good afternoon,

Kindly note that using Windows 11 on an unsupported computer may have risks such as lack of updates or crashes.

Anyways, there is this open source program called Rufus which allows you to upgrade an unsupported computer to windows 11 via an flash drive. It also works for in-place upgrades.

http://rufus.ie/

Thank you :)

Shawn

@Buckerou 

Hi... there are 2 options... I've experimented with both with success.

Either an image install of Windows 11 or a Windows 10 registry add before Windows 11 upgrade... so.

1) Image install... why... because image install doesn't check either the TPM version or the CPU... so you're good to go.. but you start from scratch

2) Window 10 registry..

Warning: 

• Microsoft recommends against installing Windows 11 on a device that does not meet the Windows 11 minimum system requirements. If you choose to install Windows 11 on a device that does not meet these requirements, and you acknowledge and understand the risks, you can create the following registry key values and bypass the check for TPM 2.0 (at least TPM 1.2 is required) and the CPU family and model.

• Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup

• Name: AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU

• Type: REG_DWORD

• Value: 1

• Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ways-to-install-windows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77... 

@Deleted 

Thank you for the quick reply. I took a giant leap of faith and gave it a shot. I am now running Windows 11. 

Thanks; Buckerou

Thanks for the info. I took a leap of faith and gave it a try this afternoon. I'm now running Windows 11. Seems so good thus far.
Thanks; Buckerou
You're welcome, have a wonderful day!

Shawn
AMD Ryzen 3 3200U is 14 nm Zen 1.0 and it's officially supported by Windows 11.
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U is 14 nm Zen 1.0 and it's not officially supported by Windows 11.
Both SKUs have fTPM 2.0

@Buckerou I took the risk too and performed an upgrade. It seems to work pretty well, speed looks very much the same, I even have the feeling it's faster at some point.

Thanks to all for the contribution

Yes my laptop is working great. The only problem I encountered was after enabling "Memory Integrity". I did an update at the same time and thought it was due to the update. I reverted back to the previous save; that didn't fix it. The problem was still there until I turned off the Memory Integrity. The laptop works beautifully with Windows 11. I'm glad I upgraded.

This applies with the 2400g desktop apu as well. not on the list but is supported without regedits or rufus work arounds @ClaudeDr