After installing Windows update KB5015814 I can´t hear audio from my earphones anymore

Copper Contributor

Per Windows 11 recommendation I installed the last windows update but after my system rebooted I realized that I couldn’t hear audio from my Logitech earphones anymore so first I thought that there was something wrong with them but after connecting them in other devices I confirmed that they were working and there was no problem with them, I also tried to connect them in different entries of my PC and they still didn’t work, after that I realized that the problem was within the windows update, I have tried following multiple youtube tutorials on how to fix this and none worked.

The only solution that worked for me was to restore the system to an earlier date,  not even uninstalling the update worked; after that I kept ignoring the update but today when I turned on my computer the update was installed without my consent and I have the same problem with the audio again.

So, I was wondering if there is any solution for this or if the only solution is to restore the system again.

Thank you for the help.

2 Replies
Try open start and search for feedback and open the Feedback Hub app and report this issue.
Try visit your device's manufacturer website and download and install the latest audio driver.
Have a look at:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-sound-or-audio-problems-in-windows-73025246-b61c-40f...

@LeslieCAYou most likely forgot to install the latest patches for your 3rd-party peripherals, which requires software that is not delivered via Windows Update:

Logitech Gaming Software | Logitech G HUB
Logitech Options | SetPoint

Realtek Audio Control

Download .NET SDKs / Runtimes for Visual Studio | Download .NET Framework

Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable latest supported downloads

NOTE: You have to have the latest VC++ Redist (VS2022,) and install BOTH the x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit) versions. Setpoint will crash without VC++ 12 / 11 installed. This is because Logitech patched it in a very basic way, probably using an older version of the WDK / Visual Studio, but they NEVER updated it to support the latest redistributables (which are backwards compatible, and also include the Universal CRT.) The reason why you have to use these older ones, is some software doesn't get updated to use the newer API handles (the same functionality does exist in newer versions via the Universal CRT.)

Settings -> Troubleshoot -> Other troubleshooters -> Playing Audio

Settings -> Troubleshoot -> Other troubleshooters -> Recording Audio

NOTE: If you rely on bluetooth, or a 3.5mm jack for your headset / headphones, then of course this won't work. You may have to download updated drivers for an integrated or PCI-E sound card / bluetooth controller. The OEM's / vendor's website would have a list of included peripherals, which you could utilize only if you had the model numbers after checking the silkscreen on the motherboard / PCI-E sound card. This is if it's not a pre-built computer with a sticker on the side of the case that shows the make and model. In that case you would enter in the model number on the OEM's website, and it would produce a list of devices with driver downloads (usually located in the support section, depending on the website layout.)

Here is another post I wrote which has the most common types of 3rd-party drivers: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-11/example-iso-patch-guide-for-windows-11-64-bit-21h2...

If you just updated from Windows 7, 8.x, 10, to Windows 11, then you might still have devices that rely on older drivers the OEM may not support any more (which would require you to modify the bootloader settings to enable them, though this is rarely an issue with Windows 11.)

Open the Command Prompt -> Start Menu -> Run -> taskmgr -> File -> Run new Task -> %SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe -> Select "Create this task with administrative privileges." -> Click OK.

BCDEDIT /SET {current} FORCELEGACYPLATFORM TRUE

You should also check the "Known issues and notifications" sections: Windows 11 release information