Windows updates causing issues

Copper Contributor

Why do I dread tuesdays and yet another update causing issues?

This week the updates failed to download, I tried driver updates( all up to Date); SFC (failed) and DISM cleanup(failed). Eventually I paused updates, restarted, resumed updates which then loaded(over 2 hours). SFC and DISM cleanup then ran successfully. All this wasted a large part of my day and I am getting really fed up with Microsoft updates.

Can I just disable updates and forget about them?

2 Replies

@martinp-f 

Updates are essentials for system and they are being tests and evaluated before release to public. However, sometimes we are facing such issues.

It would be best to report such issue through Feedback Hub app and also try run Update Troubleshooter. When you send feedback , Windows team could investigate and reproduce this issue and fix it and attempt to prevent it in future.

Hello @martinp-f,

Microsoft do not recommend to disable updates because they're essential for your system.

In case if updates are failing, you can run Windows Update troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot to fix related issues.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Open administrative Command Prompt and type following commands one-by-one followed by Enter key.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

If issue still persists, try installing updates manually using Update Catalog:

https://www.kapilarya.com/manually-download-and-install-windows-updates-in-windows-10

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.