Windows update broken after latest update?

Copper Contributor

Windows update installed KB4577671 the other day on a Win 10 64 bit version 1909 system.  

After installation and reboot, Win Update removed the message that Windows 10 version 2004 was coming" and shows a non specific problem in Windows Update troubleshooter. 

Are others seeing this same problem?  Suggestions on what to do?

Thanks,

Charley 

23 Replies

@charleyrich wrote: 

After installation and reboot, Win Update removed the message that Windows 10 version 2004 was coming" and shows a non specific problem in Windows Update troubleshooter. 

Hello @charleyrich,

What exactly the troubleshooter reported you back?

Regards. 

@Kapil Arya

Problems found
Check for Windows Update issues  Detected

In Details: 
Issue not present for 3 items

and in Detection Details:
Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. System.Management.Automation.RemoteException More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182. System.Management.Automation.RemoteException 

So, nothing really actionable.
I have tried several of the solutions shown in other Microsoft Tech notes: such as sfc /scannow  and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth which did not help.

--Charley

@charleyrich, ensure that these services are running:

• Cryptographic Services
  • Windows Update
  • Windows Update Medic Service
  • Background Intelligent Transfer Service
  • Remote Procedure Call
  • RPC Endpoint Mapper
  • DCOM Server Process Launcher

See if it makes any difference.

@Kapil Arya 

Background Intelligent Transfer Service - is shown as NOT running and MANUAL when I open up services, yet when I click on it is shows as running with startup as automatic (delayed start)

Is that normal for the there to be a discrepancy like this? 

All the others services are shown in services as running.

--Charley 

@charleyrich wrote:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service - is shown as NOT running and MANUAL when I open up services, yet when I click on it is shows as running with startup as automatic (delayed start)

Is that normal for the there to be a discrepancy like this? 

@charleyrich, I haven't seen this problem earlier.

I suggest you to run SFC /SCANNOW command at administrative Command Prompt to fix any possible file corruption.

Regards.

I had same issue

@Kapil Arya Unfortunately, I did try that and it made no difference. Any other ideas?

Hi @charleyrich  

Perform an In-Place Upgrade to fix your problem.

I tried an in place upgrade. I downloaded an ISO, but the results were the same...a rollback to 1909.
I tried sfc /scannow and the dism restore health commands but they did not make any difference nor was any corruption found.
They were all running except the Windows Update Medic Service. I was able to start it, but not able to set it to automatic start. Even running services.msc as an admin I received access denied when I tried to set it to automatic.

@charleyrich  

Which is the make and model of your pc, or a detailed list of components?

It has;
ASUS Prime 370 A II motherboard
i7 9700 CPU
32GM RAM
2 Viewsonic monitors
3 Samsung SSD drives
Intel Ethernet built into MB
TP-link N PCI wireless card
Intel UHD Graphics 630 Display driver built into MB

@charleyrich  

Update the latest BIOS and the Chipset driver: 
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A-II/HelpDesk_Download/ 

Disconnect any peripheral but your mouse and keyboard and try In-Place Upgrade again.

I have already updated the bios, chipset and drivers from Asus and Intel. I tried an in place with everything but the mouse, keyboard and monitor. Unfortunately, I had the same results..it got to the end and rolled back to version 1909.

@charleyrich  

At this point you'd better contact Asus support and be guided by them. 

I suspect it's an hardware issue.

@Spigolo 

It's not hardware. I have exactly the same problem on an Acer Aspire desktop PC:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.81 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I, too, have tried all of the above with an equal lack of success.

@RanSG4 

which Acer Aspire? 

please give me the exact model.

@Spigolo it is an XC0705