Windows treats NAS drive as an untrusted site

Copper Contributor

I've been using a NAS drive with Windows 10 for years with no problems.  All of the sudden today every time I try to drag and drop a file on the NAS I get the notification "These files may be harmful to your computer".  If I open a Word/Excel file it opens in Protected View saying "files from the internet can contain viruses..." even though these are files I created.  

I searched online and there are tons of pages that say I can open Internet Options in the control panel and add the NAS IP address to Security->Local Intranet->Sites->Advanced.  I've done that for the IP address of the NAS and I've added the entire local sub-domain but the problem persists.  

I checked and there were no Windows Updates applied in the last two weeks so that can't be the issue.  The only possible thing I can think of is that I've been working from home and usually when I log into MS Teams or Office 365 it asks if I want to allow my organization to manage my computer.  I always say no but all of the sudden it's no longer asking me that question which makes me wonder if I accidentally said yes (or it did it somehow on its own) and that caused the problem.

Regardless, it's driving me crazy and slowing my productivity to a crawl since every file I use is located on the NAS drive and I have to go through this literally a hundred times a day.  Any suggestions?

** Update ** I had an idea today and I learned something but don't know how to use that to fix the problem.  I have the root folder of the NAS drive mapped to Z:\.  In Windows Explorer when I access anything on the Z drive I run into the issues described above.  Today I wondered what would happen if I used the network path to access the files (i.e. \\ls-wxl380\share\).  If I use that approach rather than using the mapped drive letter (Z:) everything works great.  So the good news is I have a workaround, the bad news is I still don't know why it worked fine with the Z drive before and suddenly stopped and no idea how to get the mapped drive to be trusted.

2 Replies
Hi,
please try removing the mapped drive, and remap your NAS folder again as a new drive, preferably with a different letter like "Y", see if it changes anything

@HotCakeX Yes and no.  I tried unmapping the Z drive but it doesn't disappear - it shows up in Explorer as Disconnected Network Drive (Z:).  However, if I click on it, it shows the drive.  If I go to a cmd prompt and use "net use z: /delete" it tells me the network connection could not be found, yet I can go to Z: in the command prompt.

I can map to Y: and the original issue is gone but now I've lost the ability to map to Z:.