Windows sandbox wrong language

Brass Contributor

Hi All,

I opened windows sandbox for the first time in months, and noticed it had the "news and interests" widget.

The only installed languages are English (same for the host PC), yet the news widget is in Chinese.

RobD365_0-1635979142849.png

RobD365_1-1635979162801.png

Any ideas on how to fix the language, and (preferably) actually disable the widget?

Cheers

Rob

17 Replies

Hi @RobD365,

As I can see, your regional settings are configured properly, however, you need to configure the language preferences for the News and Interests. Click on the News and Interests icon from the taskbar, click the settings, from Language and content, select your preferred language as shown screenshot.

lang.png

Thanks @SalmanAhmed,

There's no obvious language change option in the menu.  The other thing is that the sandbox will loose this setting when closed, so it's not a permanent solution to the issue.

RobD365_0-1636059202658.png

Cheers

Rob

The Windows 10 Sandbox does not save changes after quitting the application.
Correct

Hi @RobD365 

A sandbox is designed as a temporary, lightweight desktop environment that allows to run applications safely in isolation from the host. Once you close it, all the settings, configuration, state, files, and applications are deleted. Every time, when you launch the application, you will get a brand-new instance of the sandbox.

For more detail, please visit Microsoft:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-sandbox/windows-sandbox-...

@RobD365 

I'm having the same issue.  I looked at 5 different computers - all with the same issue!

What i found is that the News & Interests page STARTS in Chinese, then eventually goes to English.  Of course, given that it's a Sandbox, it reverts to Chinese whenver you reopen the sandbox. 

I verfied the same issue on 5 different computers.   Is anybody else having this issue? 

@MrWombat,

Interesting, I hadn’t tried leaving it open to see if it switches to english. It makes sense that it switches back to Chinese next time you open a sandbox.

I’ve got a couple other machines I’ll check, one is Win11. Hopefully this is a known bug and is fixed up in the next patch Tuesday

@MrWombat 

Indeed, I just opened Sandbox for first time in a couple weeks tonite, and saw the News n Interests icon first time ever.

Yup, Chinese. My first thought was 'Chinese hackers got into MS sandbox code!' ;)

CP

Well, I checked my other machines and they all have Chinese news feeds in the sandbox, hopefully someone microsoft know about the issue and is working on a fix.

Edit:

Apparently @ microsoft doesn't belong to Microsoft, so removed the @

In my case, it was suddenly in Czech. I also thought Czech hackers infiltrated my computer. :(
Ditto! Feb 4, 2022. Microsoft <3 CCP

I just noticed this too after running some software I did not trust in the sandbox. Before finding this post I too thought Chinese hackers had compromised the sandbox.

In all seriousness, this seems like a strange thing. Can Microsoft confirm that they have not been hacked and there is not a compromised DLL in our systems?

If this is just an oversight, I would say it is worth correcting.

@antus415 

Did Microsoft give a comment to this problem yet?

@RobD365 

to me it seems not not only to be the wrong language (chinese) setting, but a connection to a chinese server as I got also some chinese popup windows in Edge within the sandbox.

Nothing that I've seen yet
is the main OS is in your correct language (English for me), however the (useless) weather/news widget in the task bar chineese?

@MrWombat 

I have the same problem with the sandbox , although using German as system language. I even get sometimes chinese pop-up windows when using Edge within the sandbox. Maybe it has to do with the modem. I use a modem from an Austrian Internet Provider, which is made in China (ZTE Corporation), maybe it is this combination?