Windows Mail "Ap" & Gmail

Copper Contributor

I was reading another thread about someone's problems with Gmail and the Windows 10 mail "app" (btw, what is the name for this program, app, whatever it is?), and one of the suggestions was to go into the settings in the App for the gmail account, and make sue they are synchronized. When I looked at my settings, I noticed my Gmail account was listed twice - one was named Mail 1 and the other was named Mail 2.  They had the same gmail address listed, so I told the Mail "App" to delete the second one. 

All my mail then disappeared, along with the folders I had set up in Gmail. I still see the Mail1 that has my Gmail address, but none of the emails in that account show in the windows mail app. How do I gt them back?

Thanks

btw, can someone confirm if this Windows mail "app" is or is not simply a clone of Gmail with some tweaks. Based upon the other problems I've been having with it (such as nested folders that no one can tell me if they can be minimized & maximized), I"m guessing it's just a clone of Gmail. But I'd like knowing for sure.

5 Replies

Hello @LSolom,

I hope your emails are safe in cloud, and you can still access them on the Gmail account online.

To resolve the issue, delete the "Mail 1" account and then re-add your Gmail account, let me know if you can't add Gmail account. FYI, the Mail app is developed by Microsoft for Windows 10. 

Regards.

@Kapil Arya 

I do not know why the response I posted to your answer does not show.  I'll post it again.

The issue was that I did not realize that multiple options were listed in whatever the name of this Win10 Mail "app' (come on Microsoft, there has got to be a better name for it than that!); including Outlook . com (it's listed twice - reason unknown), Live . com (whatever that is, unknown), Google, Yahoo, etc. I should have selected Google to relink my Gmail account, but accidentally selected one of the Outlook.coms. I redid it listing my Gmail address, and it reestablished the link to that.

Now my next question, which I have asked more than five times already and not received any answer - this mail "app" shows all of my messages in Gmail, and also set up folders to mimic the "labels" I have in Gmail. However, it did NOT populate any of those folders - they're all empty. They are full of emails in my Gmail account. Do I have to now go through my hundreds of message and drag each one into the folder where it was in Gmail?  If so, why the heck can't the mail "app" do that for us when it copies them from Gmail?

Last question (also posted many times before without getting any answers). As you will see in the attached screenshot, I have folders and subfolders.  In Gmail these can be expanded so each folder, and the subfolders below, are shown individually, or the subfolders can minimized by clicking the arrows next to the folders, so that the subfolders are not shown. I have tried doing that in the Mail app, but nothing happens, and I cannot find any info on how that works (I can't even find a Help function in  this "App" - does it have one?). How do I minimize and expand the folders & subfolders in the mail app? 

Mail App - Folders & subfolders.png

I'd appreciate if you could answer these last two questions.

Thanks

@LSolom 

As I said, I already deleted then restored that mail account. My  prior post which you are replying to now also explained what I did wrong (I mistakenly selected an Outlook.com account). In that same post, I asked again another question, which I will ask again:

"Now my next question, which I have asked more than five times already and not received any answer - this mail "app" shows all of my messages in Gmail, and also set up folders to mimic the "labels" I have in Gmail. However, it did NOT populate any of those folders - they're all empty. They are full of emails in my Gmail account. Do I have to now go through my hundreds of message and drag each one into the folder where it was in Gmail?  If so, why the heck can't the mail "app" do that for us when it copies them from Gmail?"

Ok, so I have now asked these questions six times, but I will give some more detail just in case my two questions are still not clear:

(1) in Gmail the folders I created (Gmail insists on calling them "Labels" instead of folders) to organize my messages each contained numerous emails. After I linked my Win 10 Mail "App" to my Gmail account,  I can see those folders (along with the subfolders that are in many of my folders) in the Win10 Mail App  However, it is showing ALL of my emails in the Inbox, even though many of the messages are in  my  folders & subfolders.  How do I fix so that the messages that are in my folders & subfolders in Gmail are also in those same folders in the Mail  App?  I do not want to go through hundreds and hundreds of messages and put them back into the folders/subfolders manually (that would be like copying the contents of a hard drive to a hard drive, then having all the files in various directories and subdirectories show up in the new drive's root directory). 

I can't find anything about this on line.  If I have to fix this manually, it is a HUGE error that should be pointed out to the developers of the  Mail "Ap" software to be fixed.

Your answer: ________________________

(B) As noted, and as can be seen from the screenshot I attached, I have folders and subfolders.  In Gmail, I can click on the right pointing "arrow" next to a folder, and it will expand or collapse the folders & the subfolders within it. When I try to do that in the Mail App, nothing happens.  Why?? Does this function also not exist in the Mail App? If so, this also needs to be highlighted to the team at Microsoft who are responsible for this App. 

Your answer: ________________________

I hope you can answer these two questions, as I would much rather not keep asking them over and over and over.  

Thank you

Does Microsoft monitor these forums? I have asked two BASIC questions, several times w/out getting any actual answers.

This is the same experience you get on the Google forums when asking questions about the many, many odd things that Gmail, Chrome, Youtube do. Not good.

What does it take to get an answer on these forums (this is a genuine question, not being sarcastic)? 

I've posted multiple questions about the "folders" in the Windows 10 mail app (does no one else feel the thing should have an actual name, so we don't have to keep calling it "the Windows 10 mail app"?), along with pictures, asking how to use those folders, why the "app" does not populate those folders when you link to a Gmail account, etc. But Not a Single response. 

I need some answers.  At this point, seems my only option is to call Leo Laporte's radio shown on Saturday. Is there any way to get a response from these forums (as bad as the Google forums are, they seem more responsive than Microsoft's - odd).