Windows Ip Connection Unavailable and not able to Reset Computer

Copper Contributor

Hello so my Problem is quite a tricky one and i Need some explicit help from Experts to solve this.

To the german Microsoft Support this was a first Time case i dont know how it is in English Support but ist pretty specific.

So about a week ago i wanted to connect to Internet over Ethernet Connection, the day previous to it the Connection worked fine and nothing was changed in the night. Now i came back to the Computer in the morning and the Connection wasnt available.

So i started out by trying to ipconfing /renew and /release after it wasnt working i disabled it in device Manager and reactivated searched for Drivers but nothing helped, i removed the Network Card from the device Manager and reconnected it manually. Now it still didnt function so i was expecting the DHCP Server to have boinked so i connected my Laptop but the Connecting Progress went fine and i got Connection in no Time so i tried to connect the Connection over an USB Adapter to my Computer to no avail i updated the Connectors Drivers but nothing helped.

So next step was to do a System Recovery from the previous Date and i started it but about an hour later it told me it was not able to do a system recovery. It turned off and when it turned on it was skipping boot sequence and going to a Windows logo with a Spinning circle of dots but not advancing in anything or showing any Progress, when restarting the Computer the same Situation appeared. After trying for some time to get into boot menu it worked, but nothing seemed off, the Partition was still intact, boot sequence was fine and in General no Settings were altered so i decidied to give the Computer a clean cut and tried to install a completly new copy of Windows. After starting the Installation and it going to about 42% it stopped, the circle was still Spinning but no Progress was made, also no Errors and nothing. I let it sit for round about 5 hours before killing the power and going home. The next day i came back and connected the Computer to the Power and like a wonder it booted normally, it even had my old Installation but just with no files and the same License of Windows.

So what i am asking is why was Windows not available to make a Connection to the DHCP in the first place when the Ethernet Cable and the Server itself was fine. It could have been the Network Card but the Adapter also did not work ?

And secondly why did the Windows System Restore and New Setup bug out so much that my Files werent deletet but it just booted fine after a night of rest ?

Best Regards,

Christoph Hochfilzer

PS.: for anyone interested in the mind bogeling answers from german Microsoft Tech Support i can translate them and put them under this post.

@René Modery @Computer Technician

2 Replies
Hi,
you could try to manually give your computer a local static IP address from the DHCP IP range and don't rely on your router's DHCP. maybe that would solve the problem

@ChristophHochfilzer If your router is set up as static IP then you have to give an unassigned static IP address to your computer. Go to Adapter Settings -> on General tab put the static subnetwork IP address -> subnet mask normally (255.255.255.0) -> Default Gateway (usually 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1) but check your router model's manual or router configuration first for all these addresses and call your ISP (Internet Service Provider) for DNS Primary IP address and secondary IP address. 

But there is a but. You can avoid all these by making your router subnet configuration setting to DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) if your router subnet address is setup statically.

Also I would suggest borrowing a NIC (Network Interface Card) from your friend's house and check if yours is flaky or not. Also check your ATA or IDE or SSD hard drive with command prompt fsck to check if there is any problem or not and fix it with that tool. Also you can check your SDRAM with latest Debian Linux USB key and do memtest at boot up.

By listing the above instructions, I really hope I had shown you a remedy for your problem. I am also having three different types of problems with Windows 10. I did bug report for one of them. But don't even know they will ever look at it. I have strong faith they will look at it. I have prioritized it as high. I hope I will get the fix in next update. But you don't have internet. So don't know how you can install Windows Update without internet. I don't know if they discontinued Service Pack or not after Windows XP. If you had Service Pack option then you could download it in your USB key and install it from there. I know how you feel. I am feeling the same with Windows 10. Bye.