Windows audio endpoint / Windows Audio not responding

Copper Contributor

So my audio is not working, it shows no applications in the volume mixer and when i trouble shoot it says that the Audio endpoint or Windows audio is not responding so i restarted both of them but still nothing. After that i tried reinstalling the audio in the device manager but that didn't help either, i also updated windos, updated the bios and updated the drivers... nothing. i did a sfc scan as well but that didnt say anything either. what did came up though when i did a hardware scan it said that my PCI_EXPRESS_SYSTEM failed but i dont know if thats it. at this point i feel like i've tried everything and this is going on for multiple days now. I really would appreciate it if anyone could help me with this.

11 Replies

Hello @CasWijers,

Is this a branded computer? If you could let me know I would recommend some vendor specific tools which could fix this issue.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Jose

Hi jose,

thanks for helping me out, i got the legion lenovo laptop.
I already tried using Restoro that did say that i was having a issue with the host_audio file but i first wanted to be sure it would solve the problem before buying it.

Hello @CasWijers 

No worries, I would like you to complete a few steps for me. 

1- Run CMD as an admin and enter the commands below: (these will remove the windows update registry which means next time you check for updates, WU will check against the entire windows update database)

Reg delete HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

yes

Net stop wuauserv >NUL

Cd C:\windows

rmdir softwaredistribution /s /q

Net start wuauserv >NUL

2 - Then run the following in order, one after the other. Wait for the first one to complete, then enter the next one: (these will repair windows and look for corrupted files)

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\

sfc /scannow

3- Now run Windows update > new updates should pop up. 

4- Assuming your chipset is intel, go to the site below and install the driver assistant, run the tool on your machine.

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant

5- After this the problem should be resolved. 

Regarding buying 3rd party programs to fix these issues, most of them don't work. I would not use them. I rather find the driver required from the manufacturer site. This is always the best and safest way to update or fix hardware. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jose 

Hi Jose,

I did all the steps one by one, i had multiple windows updates one of them that had to do something with Realtek and also downloaded and installed the graphics driver with the intel driver support assisant but the sound still doesnt work.
After i did all the steps i also tried reinstalling the audio at the device manager and scanning it back up again and i tried restarting the services but that didn't help either.
While i was doing this i got multiple notifications from Restoro that the host_audio keeps crashing.
I hope you can do anything with this information and help me further out.

@CasWijers 

Hello,

Would you be able to go to Windows Event viewer and see if you can see any errors related to host_audio? See image below for guidance.

JoseBiceps_0-1629036693064.png

If you find something, could you please attach it here for me to take a look?

Thanks,

Jose 

Hi @JosePinos55,

Here is a screenshot of the errors.

unknown.png

Hello @CasWijers 

I want you to try two things for me: 

1-  Please, backup your registry before making any changes

Open Regedit. 

Go to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

right click on the right hand side and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value

name it  ServicesPipeTimeout, then right click on the new entry and select Modify. 

change the base to Decimal and set the value to  600000, then hit OK

You will need to reboot the machine to see the results. 

If this doesnt help, try the following:

2-

Error: “No Audio Output Device is Installed" After... (intel.co.uk)

Thanks,

Jose 

Hi @JosePinos55,

I've tried both things but it still doesn't work, i checked the event viewer again and some new errors popped up i dont know if this is usefull.

unknown.png

unknown1.png

  

It looks more like a Hardware problem
Unfortunately, after everything we have done, I am starting to believe that this is a hardware issue. Is your laptop still under warranty? You might want to reach out to the vendor?

Thanks,
Jose
thank you for your response! it helped me to sort the issue