Windows 10 Pro version 1803 unable to install Windows Server Essentials Connector

Copper Contributor

I backup four Windows 10 computers, three Pro and one Home.  Two of the Pro machines upgraded to ver. 1803 and the Connector disappeared and I am unable to reinstall it.  

One of the Pro machines is unable to upgrade to ver. 1803 (requires clean install not yet done).  This machine continues to successfully connect to the server and is routinely backed up.

The fourth machine, Windows 10 Home did upgrade to ver. 1803 and continues to connect to the server and is routinely backed up.

One clue is that the Server (Windows Server 2012r2 Essentials) plays some tricks with "domains" so allow Home and Mac machines to connect and backup.  The Pro machines are in a domain.  Something changes in the way Windows 10 Pro ver. 1803 handles the Connector and its connection to the server.  Subsequently I've learned that Microsoft has discontinued the backup feature of the Essentials version of Windows Server 2019.

Is this change a bug or a feature?

1 Reply

I did resolve this problem.  I don't have screen shots to document what I believe occurred.  

I installed Windows 10 update 1809 and after doing this the Add/Remove programs in Control Panel did identify the installation of the old connector.  My memory tells me I did not see this entry when Version 1803 was installed.

So I uninstalled the connector and then was able to reinstall the connector and now all four Win 10 machines are being reliably backed up.  Part of my confusion no doubt arose because some forum posts told of a KBxxxx update that needed to be removed but my history of updates did not include it.  I distinctly recall looking in the Control Panel/Add Remove Pgms also and other posts made reference to first remove then reinstall.  I can't prove this connector did not show up under version 1803 but it certainly did after the update to 1809.

@Eric Lewis wrote:

I backup four Windows 10 computers, three Pro and one Home.  Two of the Pro machines upgraded to ver. 1803 and the Connector disappeared and I am unable to reinstall it.  

One of the Pro machines is unable to upgrade to ver. 1803 (requires clean install not yet done).  This machine continues to successfully connect to the server and is routinely backed up.

The fourth machine, Windows 10 Home did upgrade to ver. 1803 and continues to connect to the server and is routinely backed up.

One clue is that the Server (Windows Server 2012r2 Essentials) plays some tricks with "domains" so allow Home and Mac machines to connect and backup.  The Pro machines are in a domain.  Something changes in the way Windows 10 Pro ver. 1803 handles the Connector and its connection to the server.  Subsequently I've learned that Microsoft has discontinued the backup feature of the Essentials version of Windows Server 2019.

Is this change a bug or a feature?