Windows 10 Pro photo orientation issue

Copper Contributor

Hi,
I have been experiencing issues with how Windows 10 Pro displays the orientation of photos for some time now. I reported this issue to the Feedback Hub and on the Microsoft support community’s website to no avail! The issue is that the Windows 10 Pro file explorer and the Windows 10 default Photos App incorrectly displays the photos true orientation in respect to the phone’s camera orientation.

I took four pictures using the camera on my LG V30 phone. The first picture was taken with the top of my phone pointing up. I rotated the phone so the top of phone was pointing left and took the second photo. I rotated the phone so the top of phone was pointing down and took the third photo. I rotated the phone so the top of phone was pointing right) and took the fourth photo.

Previewing the four photos in File Explorer folder, displays the four photos right side up. See the following snip:

Default Photo App.JPG

Viewing the four photos folder using File Explorer.

Notice that the orientation of all four photos viewed in file explorer have the photos appear to be oriented correctly. Unfortunately, the photos orientation is not a true representation of the phone cameras orientation.

Opening each photo file with the Windows 10 default Photos App also displays the four photos the same way they are displayed in file explorer. See the following photos.

Top of phone pointing up.

0922191354c.jpg

Top of phone pointing left.

0922191354d.jpg

Top of phone pointing down.

0922191354e.jpg

0922191354f.jpg

I now changed the default Windows 10 Photo viewer Microsoft Office - Microsoft Picture Manager and opened each photo. See the following;

Top of phone pointing up.

Capture 11.JPG

Capture 21.JPG

Top of phone pointing down.

Capture 31.JPG

Capture 41.JPG

Notice the four-picture above opened with Microsoft Picture Manager displays the orientation correctly with respect to the phone’s camera orientation.

Also, If I view the four photos folder with Microsoft Picture Manager notice the four photos are displayed correctly with respect to the phones cameras orientation. See the following;

Viewing the four photos folder using Microsoft Picture Manager.

Capture.JPG

Not sure why the four photos displayed (see first photo above) orientation in file explorer are not like the above.

Be advised two other Apps I tried also display the photos orientation correctly with respect to the phone’s camera are;

1. Snip & Sketch
  2. Quick Time Picture viewer

The reason I found this issue is when I created a folder with a few hundred photos and copied them to a Digital Photo Frame USB flash drive. When I setup the digital photo frame to play all photos on the USB flash drive not all photos were oriented correctly even though the appeared to be oriented correctly when I viewed them on my Windows 10 Pro PC!

I had to go back to the folder on my PC, I changed my Windows 10 default Photo viewer App to the Microsoft Picture Manager App and rotated all photos to their correct orientation saved the changes and reloaded all photos back on the Digital Pictures Frame USB flash drive. Now the digital photo frame plays all photos oriented correctly in respect with the phone cameras orientation.

My current OS is;

Edition - Windows 10 Pro

Version - 1903

OS Build - 18363.356

Again, I already uploaded this issue to the feedback hub and the Microsoft support community for Windows numerous times to no avail.

If this is not the correct forum for to report this type of Windows 10 issue please let me know where I can report it.

Thanks

Ray

4 Replies
Hi,
The photos are correctly displayed in Windows 10 file explorer and Photos app, the problem is only in Microsoft office 2010 photo manager. is that right?

you can put a link to your feedback here and others can try to recreate the problem and add that diagnostic to your feedback.

Hi @HotCakeX

The photos are in correctly displayed in Windows 10 file explorer and Photos app.

They are correctly displayed in Microsoft office 2010 photo manager, Snip & Sketch and Quick Time Picture viewer.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-10/Windows-10-Pro-photo-orientation-issue/m-p/869394

Regards

Ray

Hmm this is actually interesting. i might be wrong but i think file explorer and photos app can be smart and detect the true real life orientation of the objects and keep them intact when the user forgets to hold their phone correctly.

I'm curious to know why it's a problem for you. in real life the black fences are on the right side. so why do you want it to look on the left side? even if you want to do it you can do so easily using mirroring feature in photos app.

I'm just interested and curious to understand the situation.

You may be right that Windows is smart enough to orient them the right way, but that is a problem when you copy the photo files from the PC onto a Digital Picture Frame USB, then viewing them on the Digital Picture Frame only to find out that the photos aren't oriented correctly.