SOLVED

Windows 10 mail app log files (where is the verbose diagnostic logging)

Iron Contributor

Hi,

I have an interesting issue where there is something accessing the mail app and trying to send out mail.  in this case its just saving it all into drafts.

The user does not recognise any of the emails.  The way we recognised that the email is from windows 10 mail is the automatic windows 10 mail signature.  we checked the default apps and it is windows 10 mail.

My main question is how do access the windows 10 mail logs?  where is the diagnostic log files kept? or is it written in the event logs?  I have seen this question a few times and really no answers

otherwise we may have to run procmon/sysmon until this issue happens again.

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Suleyman Ali (Iron Contributor)
Solution
I found it. After enabling the verbose diagnostic logging, an ETL file (HxmLog.etl) can be found in this directory:

%localappdata%\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\

You have to open that file in Event Viewer to see the logs.

I found this by using the Resource Monitor to see which files were opened by the process.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Suleyman Ali (Iron Contributor)
Solution
I found it. After enabling the verbose diagnostic logging, an ETL file (HxmLog.etl) can be found in this directory:

%localappdata%\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\

You have to open that file in Event Viewer to see the logs.

I found this by using the Resource Monitor to see which files were opened by the process.

View solution in original post