Windows 10 installation

Copper Contributor

I had Windows 7 on my PC before and have upgraded to windows 10 few years back. Now my HDD is crashed and want to install windows 10 on the same computer using new HDD. How can I do it? I don't have windows 10 key but have windows 7 key on the computer sticker.

3 Replies
Since you don't have a valid Windows 10 key, you'll need to purchase one from Microsoft or a reputable retailer. You can check the official Microsoft website for pricing and availability.
You need deactivate the key on Windows 7 first. After that, you can activate Windows 10 with the same key.

@Nir_Soni 

Since you upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 before, your computer's hardware is already registered with Microsoft's activation servers. So, you can reinstall Windows 10 on the new HDD without needing to enter a product key. 

1. Download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's website.
  2. Use Rufus or the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB drive from the ISO.
  3. Install your new HDD and replace the crashed one.
  4. Boot from the USB by accessing the boot menu (usually F12, F10, or Esc).
  5. Install Windows 10, skipping the product key step. It should activate automatically once online.
    Complete the setup, update Windows, and ensure all your drivers are installed.

That’s it! You’ll have Windows 10 running on your new HDD in no time.