SOLVED

Windows 10 install fails

Brass Contributor
I have a windows pc which originally had 8.1 installed and later upgraded to 10. Recently I was forced to restore it to it original factory settings, 8.1.

I am trying to upgrade it to 10. I used the download program for windows 10 but receive a message that “Windows 10 installation failed.

This occurs when I download to the pc and to an usb device.

When I try to boot from the usb drive, it tell me that I must run it from the setup file drive after the pc boots. Still fails.

Looking for help.

I have a license key for windows 10.
33 Replies

@Richard2085 

I do not know if it is possible to perform this step if you have version 8.1, but maybe someone has already done so?

Start fresh with a clean installation of Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Sorry now I saw that you have a key for Windows10, so this is a good step.

@A1 

Tried to run the program downloaded by the link and got the message in the attached document. When you click on the learn more link on the message, it takes you the download we have been trying.

Saw this message on the screen displayed by your link: "If you’re looking to upgrade your existing Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 PC, go to Get Windows 10 to learn more about upgrade options."  This takes you to the screen where we have been downloading the install program.

Anything else you can think of would be appreciated.

@Richard2085 

I propose to make a new installation media according to the instructions from the link - which is used to perform a clean installation of Windows10 - also on other computers, this will also remove everything and reinstall the system.

"Follow these steps to create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10.

Before you download the tool make sure you have:

An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.
A blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space or blank DVD (and DVD burner) if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.
When burning a DVD from an ISO file, if you are told the disc image file is too large you will need to use Dual Layer (DL) DVD Media.
Check a few things on the PC where you want to install Windows 10:

64-bit or 32-bit processor (CPU). You’ll create either a 64-bit or 32-bit version of Windows 10. To check this on your PC, go to PC info in PC settings or System in Control Panel, and look for System type.
System requirements. Make sure the PC meets the system requirements for Windows 10. We also recommend going to the PC manufacturer's website for additional info about updated drivers and hardware compatibility.
Language in Windows. You'll need to choose the same language when you install Windows 10. To see what language you're currently using, go to Time and language in PC settings or Region in Control Panel.
Edition of Windows. You should also choose the same edition of Windows. To check what edition you're currently running, go to PC info in PC settings or System in Control Panel, and look for Windows edition. Windows 10 Enterprise isn’t available in the media creation tool. For more info, go to the Volume Licensing Service Center.
Microsoft Office products. If you just purchased a new device that includes Office 365, we recommend redeeming (installing) Office before upgrading to Windows 10. To redeem your copy of Office, please see Download and install Office 365 Home, Personal, or University on your PC. For more information, check How to upgrade to Windows 10 on new devices that include Office 365.
If you have Office 2010 or earlier and choose to perform a clean install of Windows 10, you will need to locate your Office product key. For tips on locating your product key, check Find your Office 2010 product key or Enter the product key for your Office 2007 program."

@Richard2085 

Or install ISO directly on your computer -without USB

"If you want to install Windows 10 directly from the ISO file without using a DVD or flash drive, you can do so by mounting the ISO file. This will perform an upgrade of your current operating system to Windows 10.

To mount the ISO file:

Go to the location where the ISO file is saved, right-click the ISO file and select Properties.
On the General tab, click Change… and select Windows Explorer for the program you would like to use to open ISO files and select Apply.
Right-click the ISO file and select Mount.
Double-click the ISO file to view the files within. Double-click setup.exe to start Windows 10 setup."

@Richard2085 

more information about ISO installation

Using ISOs - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Docs

Followed the steps outlined. Downloaded an ISO file, placed it on the desktop, change the file association to Explorer, mounted it, and opened and doubled click on setup.

Tried keeping personal data and theten keep nothing. Both failed at 73%.

@Richard2085 

And has the computer manufacturer installed an additional antivirus - other than Defender?

In this case, I suggest you uninstall it!

best response confirmed by Richard2085 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
I was able to get ahold of a Microsoft support person. After a chat he had me download an older version of Windows 10 install and it worked.

Thank you for all your support. It was gratefully appreciated.
I am very happy!
Best regards
Hi Richard,I am having the same problem currently(trying to update from win 8.1 to 10). Could you please share the steps? And which version of the windows 10 version did you download?
Thank you

@Shark1210 I cannot remember the version number, but it was a much older version.  He provided me with a link to a location where I could select it was a listing of older updates.  I had asked him if there were older versions prior to the version that is currently version that is available to download via Microsoft's web page. Try contacting a support person.

@Richard2085 Ohkay! I managed to install it somehow,thank you for your reply! Take care :)

Glad to hear that. I got really frustrated during my upgrade.