SOLVED

Windows 10 high RAM is this normal?

Copper Contributor

I've been noticing that my Windows 10 computer is using a significant amount of RAM lately, even when I'm not running any resource-intensive applications. I'm talking about 80-90% of my available RAM being used, and it's not just a one-time thing - it's been consistently high over the past few days. I've checked my system settings and processes, but I haven't found anything out of the ordinary. I'm starting to get a bit worried that my computer might be malfunctioning or infected with malware, but I'm not sure what to do about it. Is this normal behavior for a Windows 10 computer?

2 Replies

@Volensk1845 

First, identify and close unnecessary programs or background applications that might be consuming excessive RAM. Open Task Manager (Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc) for high-RAM-using programs:
Click on the "Performance" tab. Look for programs with high RAM usage ( > 100MB). Close or restart them as needed.

Next, run a full scan with your antivirus software to detect and remove any malware or viruses. Use Windows Defender Offline Scan (Settings > Update & Security > Windows Defender > Advanced features > Start offline scan).

Finally, check your disk space usage (Settings > System > Storage). If your disk is running low on free space, consider deleting unnecessary files or expanding your storage capacity.

best response confirmed by Volensk1845 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Some programs might be running in the background from startup. Go to Task Manager > Startup tab and disable unnecessary startup programs.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Volensk1845 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Some programs might be running in the background from startup. Go to Task Manager > Startup tab and disable unnecessary startup programs.

View solution in original post