Windows 10 downgrade

Copper Contributor

I bought a new laptop from Argos with Windows 10 installed. It was obviously upgraded from Windows 7, but should not have been because it doesn't have enough memory. How do I go back to Windows 7. Cannot download ISO file because product key is not recognised.

Thanks

4 Replies
Hi,
Windows 7 has reached its end of life. doesn't receive any feature nor security updates. you need to contact the person you bought the laptop from and change it with a laptop that supports Windows 10.

@HotCakeX 

It is too late to ask them to change the laptop. It has taken a while for me to understand what my problem is.

I don't want Windows updates. I do not want to be connected to Windows server.

of course you don't need to connect to Windows server, I'm just saying that your system is vulnerable to all sorts of malware, zero-day security bugs etc. when updates are not being installed (Win 7 is now 12 years old)
you can get the ISO file of Windows 7 from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

but it requires a product key, you might be able to buy the product key from a 3rd party reseller, if that's what you really want.

@poldark wrote:

I bought a new laptop from Argos with Windows 10 installed. It was obviously upgraded from Windows 7, but should not have been because it doesn't have enough memory. How do I go back to Windows 7. Cannot download ISO file because product key is not recognised.

Thanks

Hello @poldark,

It is highly recommended that you stay on Windows 10, because Windows 7 is no longer recommended from security point of view. With Windows 10, you can reach support anytime and your system will remain safe and secure from security attacks. 

If you still want to go back to Windows 7, open Settings app and go to Update & Security > Recovery and click on Get started under Go back to the previous version. This option will be available, only if your Windows 10 was upgraded less than 10 days ago.

Regards.