Windows 10 change owners

Copper Contributor

Need some help...I want to change the "owner account" of a Windows 10 system. When the laptop was first setup, Windows 10 asks if the device is owned by the organization or personal use. I choose organization, put in the new employee's Office365 email, and it connects it up AzureAD, the account password uses the Office365 account password, etc...all good.  However, employee has left and I need to assign the computer to a new employee. HOW? If I disconnect the previous employee's Work or School account, it seems to switch Windows into some sort of local users only mode.  If I create a "Other user" account, it's local only.  The only solution so far that results in what I'm going for is to reset the PC.  I want the device in AzureAD and I want the new employee's Office365 account to be their login/password....like the previous employee was...

4 Replies

Hello @Swami7,

IMO, you should first create a new local administrator account using current O365 account present on the system. Then log in to that newly created local admin account. Go to Settings app > Accounts > Access work or school. In the right pane, click on Disconnect. Enter information for the new account created as alternate and confirm, disconnect, then reboot. Once disconnected, all info associated with previous employee's email should be erased.

After reboot, follow the steps to connect Azure AD using new employee's email account information. Now, if you like, you can delete the local account after successful setup with Azure AD. Alternatively, you can disable local account in LUSRMGR snap-in.

Hope this helps!

@Kapil Arya Thanks for your reply. I tried those steps, but the new O365 account doesn't behave the same way. For instance, I'm logged in as the local admin account, I've disconnected and removed the old O365 account, and now I create a new O365 via Accounts > Family & other users > Other users.  To do that, they are an O365 account, so the silly prompts for MS-only accounts are bypassed and I wind up creating another local account. I have to specify the password and reminder questions. Then I can login as that second local account and connect it to a work/school account, but it still is essentially a local account.  What I want is what the first O365 account had, sync with O365...  For instance, if I had changed the password for the first O365 on the server, the laptop's password would have been changed too.

@Swami7 wrote:

I've disconnected and removed the old O365 account, and now I create a new O365 via Accounts > Family & other users > Other users.  To do that, they are an O365 account, so the silly prompts for MS-only accounts are bypassed and I wind up creating another local account. I have to specify the password and reminder questions. Then I can login as that second local account and connect it to a work/school account, but it still is essentially a local account.  

@Swami7, assuming you already created local account while on old O365 account, sign in to that local account. Now go to Settings > Accounts > Access work or school > Connect > Join this device to Azure Active Directory. Type in new employee's O365 and sign in.

Keep us posted!

@Kapil Arya Right, but that's what I mean - I can go to Other accounts and create a local account (and I can login as that account and connect school/work to their O365), but in the end...they're still just local account that is connected to O365.  When I create that other account, I have to specify a password and reminder questions.... A few mins later when I connect that account to their O365, that account still uses the password and questions I specified because it is still truly a local account.   This is in comparison to the original O365 account where windows itself did not control the password or reminder questions - O365 did.