Windows 10 1809 Edge not loading pages

Copper Contributor

After updating from 1803 to the new 1809 release Edge stopped working (as well as the Feedback hub), while Chrome and Firefox continued to work fine.

After some trial and error the culprit ended up being that the IP6 protocol was disabled on my wireless adapter - I'd turned it off for some other testing and apparently that stops Edge from working entirely.

Just putting this up here for anyone else that runs into this problem. It seems that issues with Edge not working after updating to 1809 have been going on for some time in the pre-release rings so I'm surprised that this hasn't been resolved yet.

54 Replies
Thanks, in my case this solve the problema.

I had the same problem, even Microsoft Store or NetFlix didn´t work. I turn on IPv6 on my Realtek ethernet device and everything go on again.

I guess enable ipv6 don´t cause me others troubles i had in the past.

Same experience for me. Turning the connection "public" helped. IPv6 was enabled all along. 

this is grim, I just noticed Edge doesn't work a few days after upgrading my home PC to 1809 (no surprise I don't generally use the horrible little browser). Enabled ipv6 and it works... why tyvfm Microshaft yet again for forcing how I choose to use my home PC.

Same here,
Enabled IPv6 and Edge works again plus MS store

To all,

I am still having the issue but I think in part this is due to the fact that some of the fixes may only work in Windows 10 Home and not Windows 10 Pro.  When posting can you please list whether you are using one or the other.

After hearing Microsoft had pulled the 1809 Feature Update I went back to any earlier version of Windows 10 for the time being.

There seems to be a connection with Sophos AV (which is what I use) though which might be helpful for others:-

Sophos AV Known Issue

Chris,

I saw the same thing about Sophos AV on another blog and tried the fix they suggested.  It did not work and after seeing an article about MS putting a hold on the 1809 update I rolled back.  A am writing back to you via my Edge browser so I know the rollback worked.

I have done a ton of testing on this. The problem was affecting about 100 computers across four different businesses, and therefore four different active directories, and four different networks. First off I have to excoriate Microsoft for even making IPv6 a requirement on Edge because 100% of our ~89 customer networks cannot even use IPv6. Their ISP does not have IPv6 at all and cannot allocate addresses. I called Spectrum today. Not only do they not provide an IPv6 prefix (space) to a customer, but they won't even take it as a feature request. Nope.

So that means you cannot actually even obtain internet routable base for your IPv6 space to configure inside your network.

Then if you consider the fact that most perimeter security appliances won't NAT IPv6 to IPv4 or vice versa, then they will just dump any IPv6 traffic that is headed to the internet. I know this to be true as I tested it. Check this out even after you have an IPv6 address.

http://ipv6-test.com/ disable disabled disabled

So if your ISP won't give you an IPv6 space, and your equipment is going to dump IPv6 traffic anyway, then why how and when will it ever be used? I don't see any purpose or value for IPv6 on the inside of a LAN. We have NAT. I don't want all devices on the LAN to be directly inbound routable from the WAN without going through security inspection at a security appliance. So I see IPv6 where your endpoints have WAN addressable IP addresses as a security risk.

But you say that a private space could be used. https://simpledns.com/private-ipv6

Sure of course. But again, what is the point? The traffic will never leave the network to get to the internet.

So Microsoft loves to turn themselves into a swear word by claiming that IPv4 is deprecated as of 2011 and then forcing this change on us when it is technically impossible to even properly configure IPv6 for most networks.

I'm going to give you a set of commands that may or may not solve your problem if you are having it. First verify you don't have a GPO that is disabling IPv6. If you do, set the GPO to Enable all IPv6 components. Any other option will not work. Reboot computer and verify that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters" /v DisabledComponents is zero.

Then do this:

Get-NetAdapterBinding -ComponentID ms_tcpip6

Look for anything that has a value other than true. If so, do this:

Enable-NetAdapterBinding -Name "*" -ComponentID ms_tcpip6

Reboot.

If you are still not getting IPv6 autoconfiguration address, then do this:

netsh int ip reset
 then restart
netsh winsock reset
 then restart
And if you are still not getting an IPv6 address, now you need to get the big hammer out and literally configure IPv6 on the router interface for the VLAN, and configure DHCP server to provide DHCP addresses to clients. Use the link above to come up with a private IPv6 space.

Thanks Microsoft for wasting four days of my life.

Once you have configured your IPv6 settings you can easily verify your public IPv6 address including IP location online by typing what is my ip in the google search bar. 

If your IPv6 is not detected by above method then your IPv6 is not configured properly. 

Same problem here :

When connected to the AD domain through Ethernet Adapter > Store Apps and Edge are not connecting to internet.

But it works when i connect to other wifi (not domain related).

I didn't try yet to connect to ethernet network on other domains to check if it also works.

So i guess, for AD/Domain connection we have to work for a fix/KB...

But... It means that MS teams are using IPV6 on local domains, if they never seen this issue ?

Same problem with Realtek PCI adapter, trying the switch from private to public network.  Please fix Microsoft

Microsoft has fixed 1809.  Make sure you are getting the latest version of 1809.  There are also a couple of add on fixes for 1809 that should come through as well.

Windows Update doesn't show anything new, is there some other way to check the version of 1809?

Windows 10 Version 1809.jpg

We have an update server here at work, but you can find out more here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619 

Thanks for the link, found out I am running the most current version of 1809. 

Problem still exists, seems to be after visiting YouTube.com or other google website that the problem exists and can consistently recreate.  Also Edge browser will break after visiting linked pages that msn.com redirects to, such as MSNBC, CNBC, CNET, etc...

Finally got Google Chrome browser to download using IE will use that instead of Edge.  Sad that Edge no longer will work for me, after loading 1809 - worked fine with all websites before.

Same Problem for me since updating to 1809. Edge hangs/shows a blank panel below the address bar and does not load any webpage. IE/Chrome working fine.

Using most recent Update: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.253]

Wifi Adapter: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7265

I tried all proposed solutions:

* IPv6 is enabled (tried also to disable and re-enable it)

* Tried with several WiFi Networks and Settings (public, AD and private) - no difference

* Tried to re-register the Edge App Package

* sfc /scannow

* DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Any other suggestions?

In reply to tschramme86: Assign a static IP address to the IPv6 component of your wireless adapter. This is one way to trick the bindings back into thinking that it actually can use IPv6 even though all your other indications show that it is enabled. I have found this on iDrac to work also.

If you have no idea what to use for IPv6 and you know you should be using an autoconfiguration address, then use this or some flavor of it.

IP:       ::d294:66ff:fe97:c4af

Prefix is 64

GW:     fe80::0290:7fff:fedb:2daf

Hi Felicia,

no luck :( I configured IPv6 as suggested, Edge is still not able to load any page.

IPv6 ConfigurationIPv6 Configuration

A few days ago one night I scheduled new you update on version 1809 at 11am the next day..so I come home after school, hop on my computer and microsoft edge wont load up, applications take forever to open and once I click on a category in settings it wont load either...these things didnt work. Later that day while trying to restart it, (that never worked) I'll said it will update outside of active hours and I said " a new update already?" Hoping that it will fix the problem and it didnt. I tried shutting it down for a while didnt work, tried restarting multiple times never worked. Please help I don't want to reset my computer, I've done it 3 times already