SOLVED

Win10 Home on HP Pavilion Processor 3.2 GHz, 8Gb RAM takes up to 5-7 min to

Brass Contributor

Win10 Home on HP Pavilion Processor 3.2 GHz, 8Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD (343Gb free) since recently started taking up to 5-7 min to allow any activities after booting.  Task manager does not show any overload of processor time or memory. After thay delay it works fine. Virus check found nothing.

What might be the reason?

45 Replies

Hi @andrei186 

1. Go to Task Manager, than Startup tab, and disable some applications (unwanted) from the startup. These applications consume a massive amount of resources that causes system the performance to slow down.taskman.png

2. Please run cmd in elevated mode (Run as Admin), and execute the below command to check the system file corruption:

sfc /scannow​​

3. Run Windows update.

Please share your feedback, and do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance.

@SalmanAhmed 

Thank you very much.  On my Startup I have only 5 applications enabled (screen is attached):

AgzrtCryptProviderEx.exe (for some reason there are two copies running)

AgzrtCryptProviderEx.exe

BIFIT Signer

Realtek WOWL Utility

Windows Security notification

The first three have to do with electronic signature which I installed as soon as I bought this computer and initially they caused no problems.

As to running cmd as Admin. I bough this computer with Win10 preinstalled and when run it for the first time it offered me to create a password. So now I have just one account on that mashine and it is the Admin account. I.e. I am logged in as the Admin.  Yet an attempt to run sfc /scannow aborts saying  the Admin rights are needed.

Google search for "windows 10 how to run cmd as administrator" tells that I need to use Cortrana. I never used it. Entering "Cortrana" into Windows10 search box I am getting "Cortrana is not accessable in your region" - I am in Moscow, Russia.

How shall I procced from here?​​

Hi @andrei186

Regarding the file "AgzrtCryptProviderEx", it might be a computer virus or malware, please visit the below link for more detail:

https://howtodoninja.com/files/exe/gup-agentstvo-po-goszakazu/agzrtcryptprovider/agzrtcryptprovider-...

@andrei186 

To run cmd in elevated mode, right-click on Command Prompt icon, and select Run as administrator.

Please share your feedback and do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance, I will welcome all the questions you may have.

The link you provided reads:
--------------
To check whether the exe file is legit you can start the Task Manager. Then click on the columns field and add Verified Signer as one of the columns.
Now look at the Verified Signer value for AgzrtCryptProviderEx.exe process if it says “Unable to verify” then the file may be a virus.
-------------------------------
Task Manager on my Win-10 HOME offers to add about 50 columns names but Verified Signer is not in the list. How shall I get round this?

@andrei186 Please make sure Windows Defender is up to date, and run Full Scan on your computer and all running programs as well. Once you have done, please share the scan result.

I've run full scan and got the following results (I have Win-10 the user interface in Russian and am not sure that my translation of the reminology into English matched the original MS terminology):
Current threats - not detected
Last full scan 18/11/2021 15:25
Found threats (0)
The scan took 38 min 52 c
Scanned 1153289 files

@andrei186 

1. To run cmd in elevated mode, right-click on Command Prompt icon, and select Run as administrator.

2. Please execute the below commands step by step:

chkdsk c: /f
sfc /scannow
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

The first command will scan and fix the errors on the system drive, the second will scan and fix system file corruption issues, third and fourth command will use DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) tool to scan/restore the health of the windows installation image. 

I hope these steps could be helpful for you, please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance.

Thank you very much. The first command chkdsk c: /f has been aborted saying (again translate from Russian):
File system: NTFS
Cannot block the current disk.
This volume is used by another process

For some reason it does not name this process so I cannot terminate it

Hi @andrei186 

Thanks for the feedback, please reboot your computer and run again the above commands. Please do not launch any other application as some of them initiate the process that causes the drive lock for another process.

Thank you very much. After I completed all the steps you prescribed, Win-10 reaches its ready-to-work state much quicker, although not as quick as it used to. Interesting that all theses steps reported no errors - therefore they did not correct anything. Perhaps because the very first command you recommend me to execute - sfc /scannow​​ reported that some problems had been detected and corrected. Infortunately I failed to find out its log file to see the details of what excactle was wrong.
Also I have to report that every time Win-10 performes updates I keep fingers crossed and prey, for one of every three updates result in some problems. One time the computer refused to boot and it took me two days to put it right, which caused serious losses to my business. How can I stop the updates?

Hi @andrei186,

Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad that the above information was useful for you, please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance, I will welcome the questions you may have.

Hi @andrei186,

Yes, you can stop the Windows Update service, but it's not recommended as your computer will be the most vulnerable to hackers.

An outdated operating system is the most valuable for hackers, when Microsoft locates the weaknesses, they release the updates to address those weaknesses to shut down those chances of attack.

Thank you for a quick reply. After Windows update rendered my PC un-bootable and Microsoft technical support refused to offer any support, I consider Windows Update service much more dangerous than all the hackers taken together. Please let me know how I do stop Windows Update service on my Wind-10 Home.
From my side I relieve Microsoft from any responsibily for any hackers attacks which migh happen due to Windows Update service stoppage.
PS. I have Win XP on my old PC which I keep as a backup. It is still working fine though I did no updates since I installed it 19 years ago.

Hi @andrei186,

Please follow the steps below to permanently disable automatic updates on Windows 10:

Press Win+R, to open the Run dialog box, type gpedit.msc to launch the Local Group Policy Editor, and go to the following path:

Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update

Double-click on Configure Automatic Updates, check the Disabled, click Apply, OK, and Reboot your computer.

@andrei186 

Please note that some of the latest releases of Windows 10 might have a different location for the above policy, use the below location if you are unable to find it:

Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update>Manage end user experience

It looks like the command gpedit.msc has a different location on some of the latest releases of Windows 10: I am getting the error "Cannot find gpedit.msc". Typical. Miscosoft help hints never worked for me :)
I have old good regedit - can I stop updates using it?
best response confirmed by andrei186 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @andrei186,

Yes, It is possible to disable Windows Update from the registry, please copy the below registry values in notepad, save as NoUpdate.reg, and double-click on the file to merge into the registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001
"AUOptions"=dword:00000002

Thank you, this seems to be just what the doctor ordered. Yet in case something goes wrong, how can I back up the Registry and roll it back?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by andrei186 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @andrei186,

Yes, It is possible to disable Windows Update from the registry, please copy the below registry values in notepad, save as NoUpdate.reg, and double-click on the file to merge into the registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001
"AUOptions"=dword:00000002

View solution in original post