win 10 updates

Copper Contributor

Every time an Win update is performed, my pc slows down significantly. Why is that?

10 Replies

Hello @Ernie_D,

Hello,

Suggest you to run System File Checker scan:

1. Search for 'command prompt' using Cortana or Windows Search.

2. From results, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

3. Type sfc /scannow command and press Enter key.

4. Let the command complete and then reboot the machine.

If issue still persists, perform clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Let us know if this helps!

too complicated. I use Avast and do a cleanup.

Can not get to administrative mode. What will happen if I perform a clean boot? More complications?

@Ernie_D are you the administrator of your PC?

Check Windows Update again and see if there is any pending updates?

Sometimes, when you install new updates, it might takes some time before system adjust and it is starting some services and checking some resources and once it has been done, your PC speed should be backed to normal.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

I am the administrator and figured how to get transfer to admin.  But I could not get access  the file you suggested (.scannow) - forgot the full name. Why did this email tread not show your earlier and first response to me?  

I did not check updates again since the one I recently uploaded slowed my system and it continues to be slow. Booting up is especially slow. I hope you understand my reluctance to upload any more updates. 

@Ernie_D regarding to the command:

Open start and search for cmd or command prompt and right click and run it as administrator.

Then type the following command

sfc /scannow

Press enter and let it runs.

Take a look at:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4002019/windows-10-improve-pc-performance

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

I followed your instructions and I attached the results. 

@Ernie_D 

The results indicate "Windows resource protection did not find integrity violations" 

Still seem to run slow.

@Ernie_D this means your system files are fine.

Have you followed instruction from Microsoft Support website which I posted earlier too?

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

No I have not. 

@Ernie_D in this case please follow steps on the posted article and it explains tips to improve performance.