What is the difference between a fresh installed Windows 10 and a Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone, 

My computer at work was upgraded Windows 10 from Windows 7. And I have a old VB6 program that needs to be run everyday to update a local Access database. The program uses ADODB driver to do all the SQL operations. This program works fine on the computer that upgrade to Windows 10, but it won't run on other computer that fully formatted then installed with Windows 10. They all have identical software that installed, like Office 365, Power BI etc. I tried with multiple computers in the company that they all behave like this. So my question is what's the difference between a fresh installed Windows 10 and a Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 in this case?

Thanks.

2 Replies
Hi,
most likely there were some configurations applied to your Windows 7 OS which weren't carried over to Windows 10 after an in-place upgrade, maybe because they were not supported on the newer OS.

Thanks for the reply. But my computer is also running on Windows 10 now, and the program is working on my computer. The only difference is my computer was upgraded from Windows 7, and the computer that doesn't work has freshly installed Windows 10. Both installation methods having the same script to install the basic software that required by company. @HotCakeX