What are common causes and solutions for QuickBooks payroll error PS036?

Copper Contributor

I'm encountering QuickBooks Payroll error PS036. How can I fix this issue and ensure my payroll processing runs smoothly?

2 Replies

Hi @Carole_Beaty608 

The issues when updating the payroll services can occur due to any damages or corruption in the company file. So, to fix the data file issues, you need to verify and rebuild your company file data, which can further fix the QuickBooks payroll error PS036.

Now, follow these steps to fix the data corruption or damages in the data file:

Verify the Company File Data

• Close All the open Windows in QuickBooks and then go to the File menu.
  • Select Utilities from the dropdown options and then click on Verify Data. Now, you might see one of these:
  1. QuickBooks detected no problems with your data—your data is safe and protected, so you don’t need to do anything else.
  2. An error message—search for it on our website, which is linked above.
  3. Your data has lost integrity—Your company file data is damaged, it needs to be rebuilt.

Rebuilding the Damaged Data

• Move back to Utilities and then click on Rebuild Data.
  • Before rebuilding, QuickBooks will ask to create a backup; click OK. As backup is necessary before rebuilding it.
  • Choose the location where you want to save the backup file and then click OK. Do not replace an existing one, and then give it a name.
  • Once you see the message Rebuild has completed, click OK.

Once done, retry to update payroll and make sure QuickBooks payroll error PS036 is fixed. If the issue persists or you are looking for some extra information, you can visit our detailed article linked above.

Hi @Carole_Beaty608,

QuickBooks Payroll Error PS036 may occur due to outdated payroll tax tables or inactive payroll subscription. Update software to the latest version, verify subscription status, and ensure accurate billing information for resolution.

Quickbooks Help.png