SOLVED

Using a PC to process and host another user accessing from another PC by LAN

Copper Contributor

Summary of my question:

• How can I make two users use the same computer, one using it directly and the other remotely, independently, but with all the processing being carried out on the host computer? (Everything by LAN)

• How can I make a computer boot directly on another computer and requesting a user's remote connection without having to boot into another Windows before? 

I have a project for two computers, but first, a quick contextualization: A client has an old all-in-one, which can no longer do anything. Well, now he acquired a desktop that has plenty of "firepower" to do the basic things he needs to do (open the browser, office, Spotify, and other minimal things).

So, since he has this old all-in-one, now useless, he wants to give it an extra life to have two computers available when he needs them.

So, my idea is to access this new computer through the all-in-one, in a way that the new computer deals with all the processing, turning the all-in-one into a remote workstation, where someone else can work separately (regardless of what they are doing on the new computer). I know that I can use Windows remote access for that, but I don't even want the all-in-one to have a system at all. The ideal scenario would be to have it start up the Windows directly on the other computer (a boot by LAN, maybe?). Basically, turning it into a monitor.

Of course, I searched to learn how it would be possible to do this. But most of the solutions that I found, talk about using Windows Server for that. Still, as far as I know, I can even use Windows 10 pro to have multiple RDP sessions simultaneously, eliminating the need for Windows Server. And no matter who much I searched, I didn't find anything about starting the system remotely directly, without the need to boot on other Windows first.

I have seen in some high-level organizations where employees' computers are basically just a monitor connected via ethernet to a general server. When connected, the user in question is prompted directly via Windows, and this whole process is carried out on the server.
I imagine that this approach is similar to the one I want, but I do not know what this type of service is and how it is done.

If you guys have any suggestions about how I can accomplish this setup or research more information about this topic, I will appreciate it!

1 Reply
best response confirmed by ZizoMass (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @ZizoMass ,

let me try to help you.

I have seen in some high-level organizations where employees' computers are basically just a monitor connected via ethernet to a general server. When connected, the user in question is prompted directly via Windows, and this whole process is carried out on the server.

I imagine that this approach is similar to the one I want, but I do not know what this type of service is and how it is done.

I guess you are talking about thin clients. This is a small summary about Thin Clients:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client

To use your old PC as "thin client" you need your main PC change to a terminal server.

Tbh. I wouldn't do that. 

Still, as far as I know, I can even use Windows 10 pro to have multiple RDP sessions simultaneously, eliminating the need for Windows Server. And no matter who much I searched, I didn't find anything about starting the system remotely directly, without the need to boot on other Windows first.

It's true to have multiple RDP sessions, but a RDP doesn't help you I guess, since you can just connect onto anothers PC with a small delay.

So if you want to use RDP you potato PC gets to a even more Potato PC. And since you just get on your Main PC, the main PC is close to unusable for this time because the other one is connected.

I personal would use the potato PC for something different. Maybe you need your own TeamSpeak Server, own NAS system, Fileshare, maybe you want to make a small "smart home" idk. there a several projects you can do, but I wouldn't make a terminal server.

I hope I helped you,

Best regards 

Schnittlauch

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ZizoMass (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @ZizoMass ,

let me try to help you.

I guess you are talking about thin clients. This is a small summary about Thin Clients:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client

To use your old PC as "thin client" you need your main PC change to a terminal server.

Tbh. I wouldn't do that. 

Still, as far as I know, I can even use Windows 10 pro to have multiple RDP sessions simultaneously, eliminating the need for Windows Server. And no matter who much I searched, I didn't find anything about starting the system remotely directly, without the need to boot on other Windows first.

It's true to have multiple RDP sessions, but a RDP doesn't help you I guess, since you can just connect onto anothers PC with a small delay.

So if you want to use RDP you potato PC gets to a even more Potato PC. And since you just get on your Main PC, the main PC is close to unusable for this time because the other one is connected.

I personal would use the potato PC for something different. Maybe you need your own TeamSpeak Server, own NAS system, Fileshare, maybe you want to make a small "smart home" idk. there a several projects you can do, but I wouldn't make a terminal server.

I hope I helped you,

Best regards 

Schnittlauch

View solution in original post