Trouble with Windows 10 Start Menu

Copper Contributor

Hello!

I would like to know how Windows 10 read the directories to build it's start menu (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and the one in c:\users\myusername\...)because I got somes computers who are only displaying the modern apps and not the softwares who are installed on it (Office 2016, Chrome, etc.). I tryed the DISM and SFC command, others powershell commands to no result.

I copied the links in the programs directory to the Star Menu folder, nothing is showing in the start menu after a reboot.

And to add to the trouble, the Windows Store isn't working... I repaired it, I removed (via powershell) it and reinstalled (powershell again) without result.

2 Replies

I also have this problem. Originally the Menu included all items. Then the last update didn't install but a virus software and cleaner did install. Now the start menu is  minimalist with a lot of programs missing but still installed. What's up? Any ideas??

If usig Roaming profiles, have a look at this article https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2017/05/08/mysteriously-disappearing-start-menu-tiles...

Need tp set the SpecialRoamingOverrideAllowed registry