Tech Community Live: Windows edition
Jun 05 2024, 07:30 AM - 11:30 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

The best way to download videos from Discord on a Windows PC?

Copper Contributor

I've been using Discord for a while now for various communities and conversations. Sometimes, I come across interesting or important videos shared within the channels that I'd like to save for offline viewing or reference. I'm aware that Discord doesn't have a direct 'download' button for videos, and I want to make sure that whatever method I use respects the privacy and copyright of the content creators.

I'm reaching out to this community for guidance on how to directly download videos from Discord onto my Windows PC. I appreciate any advice, tips, or guides you can provide on this topic. My goal is to learn and share in a way that's respectful to content creators and within the bounds of Discord's guidelines.

7 Replies

@Bayenkrin 

I totally get where you're coming from with the whole Discord video download thing. Ran into that myself not too long ago. So, here’s the deal from my own little adventure figuring this out.

Basically, what worked for me was right-clicking on the video in Discord and looking for an "Open Link" or "Copy Link" option. Once I had the link, I pasted it into AllClipDown  software, this is a video downloader software, which can download video from any plotform.

You can try AllClipDown here: https://www.syscute.com/guide/allclipdown.html

Just kept in mind to only download stuff that I had the right to keep offline, you know, respecting the content creators and Discord’s rules. Always better to err on the side of caution and ask for permission if you're unsure.

Discord has become a go-to platform for communities and gamers alike. One notable feature is the ability to share images and videos within chats, along with the convenience of downloading them with ease. Here are the simple steps to download a video from Discord on a Windows PC:

Step 1: Launch the Discord desktop app and navigate to your desired channel where the image or video is located on the left side of the interface.

Step 2: Locate the specific image or video you wish to download, then right-click on it to unveil a drop-down menu.

Step 3: From the menu options, select "Save Image" to initiate the download process.

Step 4: A prompt will emerge, allowing you to designate the image's location and input a desired name. Once done, hit the "Save" button to complete the download.

Got it, you're looking to download videos from Discord. Can you share if these videos are direct uploads or links to other sites? Have you tried any methods yet, and are you open to using third-party tools while keeping things respectful to creators? This info will help pinpoint the best advice for you.
A dedicated Discord video downloader is your best choice. This type of utility is specially designed to help you download Discord videos on a computer for offline playing.

Ah, trying to download videos from Discord on Windows PC, huh? Been there, done that. Here's how I managed to pull it off on my Windows PC:

1. Get yourself a screen recorder: Since Discord doesn't offer a built-in download feature for videos, I went for the next best thing—a screen recorder. There are plenty of free ones out there like OBS Studio or ShareX. I personally use ShareX because it's lightweight and gets the job done.

2. Install and set up your screen recorder: Once you've picked your weapon of choice, download and install it on your Window PC. Setting it up is usually pretty straightforward, but you might want to tweak some settings to get the best recording quality.

3. Launch Discord and find your video: Fire up Discord and navigate to the channel or conversation where the video you want to download is lurking.

4. Start recording: With your screen recorder ready to go, hit that record button and let it do its thing. Make sure to position the recording window over the video you want to capture.

5. Play the video: This is the easy part—just play the video in Discord like you normally would. Your screen recorder will capture everything you see and hear on your screen.

6. Stop recording: Once the video is done playing (or if you've captured all you need), stop the recording in your screen recorder.

7. Trim and save your video: Most screen recorders will let you trim the video before saving it. Just edit out any extra bits you don't need, then save the file to your PC.

8. Enjoy your downloaded video: And there you have it! You've successfully downloaded video from Discord on Windows PC using your screen recorder. Now you can watch it to your heart's content, share it with friends, or do whatever else your heart desires.

It's not the most elegant solution, but it gets the job done without any fancy software or sketchy websites. Plus, you can use your screen recorder for all sorts of other cool stuff too.

@Orizonman Do you have any recommendation? I want to download 30+ videos from Discord channel. It could be great to get high quality videos.

@Bayenkrin 

Trying to download a video from Discord without a straightforward download button can feel a bit like a puzzle. Here’s what I found works, keeping in mind the respect for privacy and copyright you mentioned.

First, a heads-up: always make sure you have the permission or the right to download and keep the video. It’s all about respecting those content boundaries.

1. For grabbing that video, the trick I used involves a bit of a workaround using the web version of Discord on a browser:
  2. Open Discord in a browser rather than the app. Navigate to the video you want to download.
  3. Play the video, and while it's playing, right-click on it. Now, here’s where it might get a bit browser-specific. On some browsers, you might see an option like “Save video as…” directly. If you do, jackpot! You can just click that and save the video.
  4. If the direct save option isn’t there, you might need to choose “Inspect” or “Inspect Element” from the right-click menu to open the developer tools pane.
  5. In the developer tools, you’re looking for a direct link to the video file in the Elements tab. It can be a bit like finding a needle in a digital haystack, but you’re essentially looking for a URL that ends in a video file extension (like .mp4). Once you find that URL, right-click on it and select “Open in new tab” or just copy and paste it into a new browser tab.

The video should now be playing in its own tab with nothing else around it. Right-click on the video in this new tab, and you should see the “Save video as…” option, allowing you to download the video directly to your PC.

Just remember, this approach is a bit of a workaround and should really only be used for videos you have permission to download.