The arguements behind deferring a Win 11 free upgrade?

Copper Contributor

If Win10 is supported till 2025, should anybody even bother upgrading to Win 11 right now?

By 2025, Microsoft might just ditch Win 11 and move to a more commercially befitting Win 12 🤷

Also, can OEM Win 10 Key owners 'free' upgrade to Win 11 anytime? or is the free upgrade for a limited time window? OR..... will OEM Win 10 key owners be ineligible for this free upgrade since the key is OEM.

I ask 1 of the questions above because, if the FREE upgrade can be accepted 'anytime' before 2025, then I'd rather wait for early bugs to be fixed and the new OS to bed in properly before jumping from a relatively more stable Win 10 with SIGNIFICANTLY more supported and optimised apps at least at Win 11's infancy.

5 Replies

@Tashdeed 

Hello! You've posted your question in the Tech Community Discussion space, which is intended for discussion around the Tech Community website itself, not product questions. I'm moving your question to the Windows 10 space- please post Windows 10 questions here in the future. 

@Eric Starker Hello. Thanks, will keep in mind.

@Tashdeed 

Yes, but - not everyone thinks the same!
A lot of people are looking for news at all costs and want to have something the best and the latest!
Windows11 wants to build the highest quality product, but the tests will show the truth!

I am ready for windows 11

@Tashdeed wrote:

If Win10 is supported till 2025, should anybody even bother upgrading to Win 11 right now?

Hello @Tashdeed,

Upgrading and using the latest available version is always recommended by Microsoft. However, there are still many people, not even upgraded to Windows 10 yet after almost 6 years of its release. It's your own choice whether you want to stay on your existing version or you want the latest version. For those who loves to try new features and are really concerned about their data safety and security, usually prefer to upgrade to the latest version. 

I believe we don't have information right now for how much time free upgrade offer will be valid. We need to wait for this info from Microsoft.

Regards.