SOLVED

Sudden slow internet on 5ghz Wi-Fi

Copper Contributor

Hello,
We recently got a 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz connections
Just few days ago, we are experiancing a slow internet in our windows devices
To clarify, we have slow download speed compared to other devices, such as iPhones/Mac
In my iPhone for example, i get +200MB/s download speed, where i get maximumly of 60MB/s in my windows laptop
I have been trying to solve this issue for the last 3 days
I figured out this slow speed is only associated with windows
3 laptops are experiancing that, which are windows

I have searched the internet and nothing solved it
this is really driving me crazy
My last move was to reset the pc, which I did
But, still! the issue still there

I will appreciate any help :(

10 Replies

Hello @MrMTJ,

Please run Network Adapter troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot. Let us know what it reports back. 

Regards.

@Kapil Arya Hi, thanks for your reply
I followed that and i found that there is a problem "The Diagonistics Policy Service is not running"

However, i opened services and located the that one, but i couldn't start it
It says "The diagonistic Policy Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs"

Hello @MrMTJ,

Try FIX 2 mentioned here and then re-try to start the Diagnostics policy service:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-the-diagnostics-policy-service-is-not-running-in-windows-10

Hope this helps! 

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

I did that, and i'm still getting:
"The diagonistic Policy Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs"
And the internet still slow on 5Ghz connection

Hello @MrMTJ

Alright, try to perform Network Reset once:

1. Open Settings app, click Network & Internet > Status > Network reset link.

2. Now click on Reset button on next screen.

3. In confirmation prompt appearing next, click Yes.

Regards.

@Kapil Arya 

I could now run the troubleshooter
I ran it and it couldn't identify any problem

I still don't get it, all apple/IOS machines are good with +200MB/s
Where windows devices are maximumly 60MB/s

best response confirmed by Kapil Arya (MVP)
Solution

@MrMTJ 
So, i was searching for the lastest update of my network adapter
I figured out the just recently i had it updated

So i installed the previous version 
Then, i uninstalled the updater from device manager, and checked "Deleting this from the computer"
After restarting, the network is finally good, after 5 days of searching

@MrMTJ Can you please tell me what you have done, I am also facing the same problem with my 5G network. In my personal laptop and in mobile it is giving around 200 mbps speed but at the same time it is giving 50 mbps in my other laptop. It would be great if you could help me.

Has anyone fixed this.  My iMac measures my 5.0 GHz using Comcast speed test at 435 mbps.  However, same network, same location, Windows Dell PC only measures 85 mbps.  The connection status for that connection shows the adapter at around 385 mbps.  Why is the windows laptop so slow with it's wireless connection.

5 GHz Wi-Fi networks experience less noise and interference from devices like microwaves or bluetooth devices. They also allow you to transfer data (including streaming video) faster, and the higher frequency uses less battery life on mobile devices like your Windows laptop.

Unfortunately, with those benefits come a number of drawbacks which can cause problems with accessing your 5 GHz Wi-Fi network. Your network adapter may not even support 5 GHz. It's also more sensitive to household obstacles like concrete walls or metal duct work. Windows or driver updates are also known to sometimes cause problems with accessing 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Kapil Arya (MVP)
Solution

@MrMTJ 
So, i was searching for the lastest update of my network adapter
I figured out the just recently i had it updated

So i installed the previous version 
Then, i uninstalled the updater from device manager, and checked "Deleting this from the computer"
After restarting, the network is finally good, after 5 days of searching

View solution in original post