SOLVED

SOLVED: Windows 10 1809; Windows Hello not working anymore

Brass Contributor

Since the 1809 update Windows Hello doesn't work anymore on my Surface Pro (2017).

The lockscreen shows either 'Sorry - something went wrong. Please sign in with your Pin.' or 'Sorry - something went wrong.'

20181004_090542.jpg20181004_090527.jpgI've tried accessing the Windows Hello settings but then get the message that face unlock isn't available on this device:

ApplicationFrameHost_2018-10-04_09-09-42.pngCan anyone tell me how to fix this?

6 Replies

I am also having issues with Windows Hello since moving to 1809, I even did a fresh install - mine is worse in that I can't even enable it at all.

Untitled.png

I am using a Tobii Eye Tracker (4C) device. Worked flawlessly on 1803. I am having this same issue on my Alienware 17 R4 laptop, which also have a Tobii Eye Tracker (built-in/integrated). Both are using the latest (May 2018) Tobii Eye Tracking software.

best response confirmed by Jean-Paul van den Bogert (Brass Contributor)
Solution

I fixed the problem by installing this driver: https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/4023482/surface-download-drivers-and-firmware-for-surface

Still weird that it broke down in the first place

I'm right there with you!  I have a 17 r4 with Tobii Eye Tracker as well and the Fall update messed a lot of stuff up including my speakers but Windows Hello was working flawlessly.  I decided it was time for the yearly OS reformat to help solve some of the issues that I had, having tried everything else on the other problems to no avail.  After everything was reinstalled, drivers updated, etc. everything worked again except my speakers (the sub works but the two front ones don't) and now Windows is giving me the same error when I try to set up Hello.  It isn't just you.  The last time this happened it was an update from Tobii that fixed it so hopefully, it will be sometime soon!

I had this Problem on my Surface Pro 2017 (i5, 4GB) after the Update from 1803 to 1809 that came to my Surface via Windows Update a week or so ago. Installation of Surface Drivers and Firmware didn't solve the Problem, a complete Reinstallation of 1809 via Microsoft Media Creation Tool didn't solve it, either.
I then installed the Insider Preview of 1903 (Build 18362.1), and that did the trick: Windows Hello is working again.
Seems the Problem is specific to Version 1809 of Windows 10.

@Jean-Paul van den Bogert 

I saw that driver download page. Did you download and install everything on the page? I am dealing with a Surface Pro 4 and there are about 12 files for download and no instructions for what needs to be done. Thanks for sharing your experience.

This link is in German
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jean-Paul van den Bogert (Brass Contributor)
Solution

I fixed the problem by installing this driver: https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/4023482/surface-download-drivers-and-firmware-for-surface

Still weird that it broke down in the first place

View solution in original post