Since making Chrome my default browser, MailTo can't be switched back to Outlook

Copper Contributor

The mailto default program type has been changed to Chrome and I cannot set it back to Outlook. This is happening on Windows 7, but I have seen reports on 8 and 10.

If, using control panel / default programs / file types, I select MailTo, it only is showing Chrome as a possible program. Outlook is not a choice to switch to. If I look at .pst as a file type, it properly is pointing to Outlook. So Outlook is being recognized as a target program there.

If I go to the default programs list instead, Outlook is not shown as a possible program. If I go to outlook itself and select file/options/general and use the startup option Make Outlook the default Email program, it has no effect. If I hit the Default Programs button on that general options page, it does nothing.

So now that Chrome has become the selected browser, email links are all going to the Google sign on screen expecting me to use Gmail since I can't change the default to go to Outlook. I have seen references to similar problems with WIndows 7, 8 and 10 so perhaps someone can offer a solution. Maybe this needs to be fixed at a registry level but I have not seen a posting to explain what keys should be modified.

1 Reply
Hi,
Check the handlers settings in Chrome and if Gmail or any other email provider is selected, remove it: chrome://settings/handlers