SOLVED

Should I convert to dynamic disk?

Brass Contributor

Hi all.  Decades in IT and I'm ashamed to say, this topic has always eluded me.  Back in the NT/2000/2003 days, I briefly touched on the topic of basic vs. dynamic disks (actually I think just 2003, but **bleep** if I can remember).  I remember there were too many pitfalls with switching a hard drivec to Dynamic disk, such that I always followed the rule of not ever using that feature.  

Ok so fast forward to today, and I'm on a Win 10 Pro box that had been restored from a full image backup.  Original SSD was 240 GB, the replacement SSD is a Samsung 500GB SSD (Evo 860 mSata).  Disk Management shows about half the space as unallocated.  I have no options to do anything with the partitions/volumes, but right-clicking on the Disk 0 item on the left of the middle main pane, has the option to convert to Dynamic Disk, which I assume then will allow volume expansion or whatever else, to join that unallocated space to the C:.  

So my question is, is it now a simple process in Win 10, hassle free? If it's one of those "you can do it but if it's a UEFI thingy with GPT or if it's got an OEM partition formatted as FAT32 and you gotta update the firmware on Serial I/O this or that etc. etc. etc.", forget it, not worth screwing around with, but if this is considered in 2020 a hassle free no risk process, please advise.  Thanks :) 

4 Replies
best response confirmed by ViProCon (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@ViProCon Dynamic Disks are deprecated in Windows 10 May 2020 Update. However, it will be replaced by Storage Spaces in the near future.

@mikeshadows1991 

If I recall, MS pushed out some recent patches that really messed up Storage Spaces, if memory serves it did something like wipe out entire partitions or what not.  I'll give it a long pause before touching that feature with anything critical.  But thanks for the insights, that info works for me.  

@ViProCon Converting from basic to dynamic is a seamless process. It doesn't matter which file system you are using (using NTFS is highly recommended). To perform this action, you would right-click on the disk drive you want to convert; and select "Convert to Dynamic Disk" from the context menu. However, it is completely useless if you don't need the software RAID features of dynamic disks. You don't necessarily need to convert a disk to a dynamic one in order extend a partition; this can be done on a basic disk, too.

I hope this helps

@Jlilly970 

Good enough for me :) I never did proceed with doing it, so shortly I will.  No reason to question.  The computer in question was a primary system, still is, but I'm transitioning to a new primary system so this'll become a secondary.  Anyway, will try soon.  Thanks!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ViProCon (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@ViProCon Dynamic Disks are deprecated in Windows 10 May 2020 Update. However, it will be replaced by Storage Spaces in the near future.

View solution in original post