Reminder: Adobe Flash Player end of support

Community Manager

Microsoft is ending support for Adobe Flash Player on Microsoft Edge (new and legacy) and Internet Explorer 11 at the end of 2020. Here's what you need to know:

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/09/04/update-adobe-flash-end-support/

Key highlights:

• In the new Microsoft Edge, Adobe Flash Player will be removed by January 2021. The schedule of changes is available here.
  • After December 2020, you will no longer receive a “Security Update for Adobe Flash Player” from Microsoft that applies to Microsoft Edge Legacy and Internet Explorer 11. 
  • In the second half of 2021, the APIs, group polices and user interfaces that specifically govern the behavior of Adobe Flash Player will be removed from Microsoft Edge (legacy) and Internet Explorer 11 via the latest “Cumulative Update” on Windows 10 platforms and via “Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 11” or “Monthly Rollup” on Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Embedded 8 Standard. 

10 Replies

@Heather Poulsen 

Thank you for sharing and it is really important.

Unfortunately, there are old websites where they are still using Flash Player and some Web Camera still using Flash Players.

It is good time for everyone to start migrating from Flash Player , before it is too late. 

Hi,

I'm still confused with the last update on this matter.

In the last update on Adobe Flash Player end of support, is said that customers will be able to use Adobe Flash Player in the new Microsoft Edge via the IE mode, after 2020.

So my understanding, is that Flash content (ex.: websites) will still run in the new Microsoft Edge, after 2020, as of today, through the mentioned feature which can be enabled.

But as stated in this thread and in the blog posts on Adobe Flash Player end of support - Microsoft will fully remove Adobe Flash Player from all browsers: Edge, Edge (Legacy) and IE11.

So, my question is, for companies/customers which still relies on Adobe Flash Player after 2020, Microsoft Edge will allow to run such contents?

@Jreis For your questions, please contact the support team.

It is good to see such an old and unsecure standard be retired

Thank you, great decision. Adobe is retiring and depreciating their own software due to security flaws, it's natural for other companies to follow it as well.
And they gave years to website developers to use alternative technologies which is fairly enough.
What If Microsoft makes a Replacement for that having more features than Adobe Flash has.
Every one would like it and use ours
Microsoft had something like that, it was called Silverlight
https://www.microsoft.com/Silverlight/

now HTML5 and other technologies are here and they are standards, don't belong to a specific company.
yes, i hope to see the flags in insider to disable flash component in edge before 2021 though
I'm not seeing any sign of Flash player in Edge 89 canary.
in Edge 87 stable this page exists edge://settings/content/flash
but not in Edge 89 canary.

you can also verify that by going to: edge://version/
in Edge 87 stable it shows the flash player version.
in Edge 89 canary it doesn't say anything about flash

Finally, Flash should be removed much earlier.