SOLVED

"The specified user does not have a valid profile" error on apps downloaded from Microsoft Store

Brass Contributor

Hi all,

We just updated from 1607 to 1709 in our production environment.  I reimaged my machine recently to 1709 and went to the Windows Store to download the Windows Configuration Designer app.  Upon launch, I get a message pointing to the installed exe in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and stating "The specified user does not have a valid profile".  I tested this with iTunes, another app from the store as well, and get the same result.  A coworker of mine has the same behavior.  Has anyone else experienced this?  

Micah

Error.PNG

34 Replies
best response confirmed by Micah Hibdon (Brass Contributor)
Solution

I solved the problem by moving the folder with the install files from the WindowsApps (which is hidden by default) into a user folder (e.g. Documents) and start the executable from there.

WindowsApps directory seems to have insufficient permissions for standard users after the OS Release in April . At least ubuntu is now running again without any problem. I am using 1803 Build 17134.1

I meant from the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder

Thanks Thomas, 

This is a good workaround for sure.  I wonder if Microsoft is planning to address this issue with a permissions fix of some kind for that folder?  Some apps do work, but the ICD and iTunes seem to be a couple that are affected at present.  Thanks again for your response on this.  It was definitely helpful.  

Micah

I discussed this issue with our Microsoft Support Team. It seems to be pretty new and they are working on this. I 'll keep you updated...

Strange enough that no one else seems to be affected by this

cheers, 

Thomas 

Thanks Thomas!  I appreciate you following up with them on this.  It definitely is a bit of a strange issue.  We're seeing it here with two 1709 machines, so it's interesting that you're seeing it with 1803 as well.  Let me know if I can provide any helpful information on this.  

Thanks again!  

Micah

Hi Thomas,

I just saw this post from another person today.  Looks like more people may be experiencing this now too.  

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-10/quot-The-specified-user-does-not-have-a-valid-prof...

Micah

I also had this problem. Your fix did not work for me. I found the app in the hidden WindwsApps. There was a corrupt/bad permission on that folder that might be part of the problem, but even after I corrected that, it would no work. I tried moving the iTunes like you suggest, but that would not work... 

The solution for me was to (1) uninstall iTunes that I attempted to install from the store - that install was messed up and not able to be repaired. Then (2) download iTunes 64 straight from Apple (look close at their page & there is an option to get it straight, vice through the store). Once i got that installer, everything worked fine.  

I can confirm that this is not an isolated problem. I'm having issues with different programs aswell.

yes, i have also been experiencing it since 10-12-18

Even microsoft office of mine seems to be effected by this i cannot open excel or word

Even microsoft office of mine seems to be effected by this i cannot open excel or word

Hope this will help.

Try with the below

Go to your task bar and find "cloud-paging player" (maybe hide in the arrow their) right click on it and exit.  After this every thing will work correctly.

This worked for me

I am having the same problem while trying to open Sticky Notes. I mean, I had a lot of notes there and I never bothered to sysc them to the cloud (firstly because the laptop is not personal, it's from the company where I work).

First I had (and still have btw) a problem where I couldn't open the start menu, but I tried many things and they work one time only and then they stop working at all.
when I am able to get the UI working correctly and I open Sticky Notes I get that error (The specified...).

I also tried exporting the Sticky Notes store file, but no luck, I can't even find the folder (and is not because is hidden) there just isn't any folder that contais that store file.

the worst thing is I had a buch of notes ONLY on sticky notes for quite a while and I planned to use/read all of them today on a meeting but this frick started happening yesterday (after I tried to do tricks with RDP/RDC) so I wasn't able to tell jack shift.

so far I had no luck...

ftr, my OS is W10 v1803

I have a feeling this was the issue I was seeing too.  I no longer use CloudPaging Player, and I also no longer have the problem.  I suspect you're right that this is the problem.  Thanks for the post!  

Thank you, your advice worked for me. even after trying many other options.

Much appreciated.

J

@MayhemHack wrote:

Hope this will help.

Try with the below

Go to your task bar and find "cloud-paging player" (maybe hide in the arrow their) right click on it and exit.  After this every thing will work correctly.

This worked for me

You are a life saver this was the cause for me! I still had a cloud trial of creo running in the background. This caused my pc to think I was a different user and blocked me from all of my apps! Thank you!

Dear @MayhemHack 

Thank you for your help, as soon I removed Cloud Paging Player, everything started working properly again.

Kind regards,

Carlos

Same here, any news from Microsoft regarding fixing the issue?

Windows Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

Hi @sergey_voronov1745 

The problem is not exactly related to Windows. I have exactly the same problem with AppsAnywhere, the only way to get it solved is by waiting for a new release of CloudpagingPlayer, our University IT team gave me this information:

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for getting in touch with us about this.

Unfortunately, the issue is related to the version of CloudpagingPlayer (a component of AppsAnywhere) that is currently in use. We've been waiting on the release of a new version from the supplier, which resolves this issue, and we've scheduled the update to happen over the Easter break.

Until this has happened, unfortunately, this is a known issue that we're not able to resolve immediately.

Regards,

Kind regards,

Carlos

@sergey_voronov1745 wrote:

Same here, any news from Microsoft regarding fixing the issue?

Windows Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Micah Hibdon (Brass Contributor)
Solution

I solved the problem by moving the folder with the install files from the WindowsApps (which is hidden by default) into a user folder (e.g. Documents) and start the executable from there.

WindowsApps directory seems to have insufficient permissions for standard users after the OS Release in April . At least ubuntu is now running again without any problem. I am using 1803 Build 17134.1

View solution in original post