Possible Virus?

Copper Contributor

How do I stop a possible virus? Everything we plug an external drive into any USB port a popup shows asking to upload pictures, etc. it says "keep your memories safe", Top left says camera update.

This is nothing I have seen before, and does not show up on other machines when same external drives are attached.

None of the external drives have a backup program on them.

I have scanned with Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes and of course Defender (which is running) with no results.

How do I stop this?

18 Replies

@playpar 

Would you mind share screenshot of your issue?

It might NOT be virus but some programs displaying this message.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

I decided best to re install the O/S and all apps. Yes a big pain but I was getting run time errors plus other issues 

@playpar Some viruses reside in the boot master record, where they can load even before Windows starts. They can also be impossible to find and remove. Try resetting your PC.

@playpar 

We need more information to investigate the issue.

However, in case you are reinstalling Windows, this issue will be fixed but we wouldn't know the root of it.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

I understand but I did not want to take anymore chances.

However, this opened up another question which I do not know where to post.

I changed my email passwords and I though my password to Tech Community etc.,  Plus I have now two other log ins and user names (Playpar)/ previously my personal login (personal email address) and business were all the same. (which I liked). 

Where do I post to get this straight?

@playpar 

Regarding to your question, would you mind clarify it a bit.

Do you want to change password for your Microsoft Account?

Are you login with Microsoft Account or Microsoft 365 account?

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

Not too much to clarify. Somehow when I tried to change my password I ended up with different accounts or account names. I want to use Playpar through out Microsoft communities. I ended up with LakeErie for one community, Playpar here, and something else for my personal login using personal email. How do I change. I do not and will not use 365.

@playpar Please remove your email...

@Kam What?? No I do not want to do that!

@playpar LOL I mean from that reply :)

@Kam I do not know or understand why you are saying this. I do not want to remove my email from my accounts.

@playpar Email removed. Thanks!

@Kam OK I got you thanks

@playpar 

The following is the website for Microsoft Community page:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/community-lounge/ct-p/Community-Info-Center 

Where you could ask question about this Microsoft Community.

You may sign out from your account and in menu you could remove account you don't want.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived How can I remove my email in the above response?

@playpar I thought you already did. I'll remove yours in mine too.

@playpar 

I see you removed it.

In top right corner of your post click on icon and you have option to Edit and when you click edit, you may edit your post.

@playpar 

That's just the Dropbox app, not a virus.