Overall stability and testing for Windows 10 releases

Brass Contributor

Hi - I appreciate all the hard work Microsoft does on Windows 10 and the other products you create. But I know in the drive to add shiny new features, sometimes stability is left behind.  We've all had lots of issues with Windows 10 (not to mention Office!) stability, like search or other components breaking, even in Windows 7 updates, and it doesn't give us much faith in the new update and development processes to see these things.  Is there any talk at Microsoft that perhaps things are moving too quickly, or that maybe it wasn't a good idea  getting rid of so much internal testing and QA because quality has slipped?  Please make sure to always keep quality at the forefront ahead of new features! And thanks.

2 Replies

I highly doubt you'll get a frank discussion about the internal workings at Microsoft.

Suffice to say the letting go of their QA staff has resulted in what appears to be a downward trend in reliability in some of their products. I'm sure in Windows case it was hoped that the Insiders group would be enough testers for Windows 10, but it has obviously has not been.

There is a common theme from your enterprise customers (at least I think so) that you (MS) are moving way too fast! We are finishing our 1511 upgrade to 1607 and now going straight 1709 which will give some time to breath. We will likely skip the spring update and focus on 2018's (after our 1709 update) fall release in terms of the next upgrade because it's moving to fast for large organizations like ours (50K devices)!