OneDrive on RDS 2016 with Files On Demand

Brass Contributor

Hi guys, 

I was wondering If somebody got the File On Demand working in OneDrive with Remote Desktop Server 2016 including FSlogix. 

I can't get the right information if this is supported on a RDS2016 server environment or that I need to upgrade to RDS 2019. If somebody has any information regarding the installation process or some kind of guidelines please share it with me :) 

Cheers, 

Dennis

6 Replies

Nobody? I cannot believe I am the only one with this question right? :suprised:

@Dennis Haxe  I am having this issue now as well. We just recently moved our entire VDI solution to use server 2016. We now are implementing onedrive. My Consultant said "update to server 2019" as the only fix. I was really hoping I could find info that would allow me to NOT have to rebuild everything.  

Hi @Dennis Haxe  

This space is Windows 10.

I believe you'll get a better response in a space here: 
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-server/ct-p/Windows-Server 

Currently I have installed OneDrive Sync onDemand (OneDriveSetup.exe /AllUsers), also forced the SyncOnDemand policy through the ADMX configured on a GPO, but the users cannot get the OnDemand option when opening the settings.

I have tried with 4 versions of Windows Server 2016 as shown on the below list, but neither has worked:
Windows Server 2016:
Builds:

I have done the same procedure on a Windows Server 2019, on it is working successfully

Is it possible to know if Microsoft supports OneDrive SyncOnDemand on Windows Server 2016?

@IvanSoft Files on Demand is not available nor supported on Windows 2016. It's a feature of the OS, not OneDrive and Microsoft never made it available for 2016.

Your only option is to upgrade to Windows 2019, or move to Azure Virtual Desktops.

@IvanSoft is the GPO not applying for the OneDrive Sync on Demand with Windows Server 2016?  I’m ok if the users cannot select it within the OneDrive settings just as long as the GPO is forcing the behavior and settings.