Onedrive on demand sync on server 2016

Copper Contributor
Will windows server 2016 have Onedrive on demand sync in the future?
5 Replies

I also need this!

The 3rd party drive mappers are too slow due to using Webdav. We need the full client on RDS.

Dear all, Matthew,
I used the OneDrive mapper powershell script now for 2 months. Went live with ~15 thin clients and we currently see issues (logon script and performance). Desktop and other folders have been redirected. Performance and manageability are key issues. Windows Server 2019 is supporting OneDrive and On-Demand feature (

https://christiaanbrinkhoff.com/2018/09/25/microsoft-announces-windows-virtual-desktop-multi-user-on...)

. Currently upgrading my RDS template based on Server 2016 to Server 2019. By today I can confirm if everything will be working. For my company and IT this is just in time as we are migrating all personal files from Offline Files to OneDrive.

How did it go?

@Ivan Versluis wrote:

Dear all, Matthew,
I used the OneDrive mapper powershell script now for 2 months. Went live with ~15 thin clients and we currently see issues (logon script and performance). Desktop and other folders have been redirected. Performance and manageability are key issues. Windows Server 2019 is supporting OneDrive and On-Demand feature (

https://christiaanbrinkhoff.com/2018/09/25/microsoft-announces-windows-virtual-desktop-multi-user-on...)

. Currently upgrading my RDS template based on Server 2016 to Server 2019. By today I can confirm if everything will be working. For my company and IT this is just in time as we are migrating all personal files from Offline Files to OneDrive.

How did it go?

Hi Joe, community,

Up and downs :). Indeed it worked out for me.

I was able to upgrade my Windows Server 2016 image to Windows Server 2019 without any issue. It took some time to finish. After the upgrade I gave a try and run into issue to select the %userprofile% folder as the destination of the OneDrive sync folder as set on the GPO and our default configuration. I needed to troubleshoot, research and found out what was going on.

In the end I found out that we were using User Profile Disks and that this is not supported. Sounds stupid to me as any RDS deployment with high availability in mind requires user profile disks. Not sure if this will be fixed in the near future I decided to add second data disks on the RDS server in Azure, create folder structure as we did before with Folder Redirection and Offline Files (allow users to create folders) and enable GPO for Folder Redirection to this E:\ drive. Updated the GPO for OneDrive configuration and got it working. Late Friday I tested this and it worked fine, almost same configuration as on the our notebooks/desktops. On-Demand feature is there and not all files are sync, so this data disk will be used for hot files used by the users on the RDS servers. With this work around the data disks, folder & permissions will need to be setup as part of each RDS server added to the collection.

To me this is fine for now. The OneDrive mapper PowerScript was not stable, caused delay with the WebDAV connection on the redirected folder and I am happy to continue now.

Reference: