SOLVED

NTFS reader for Mac - Why I can't read and write NTFS drive on my Mac?

Copper Contributor

I'm currently using a Mac and have encountered an issue with accessing an NTFS-formatted drive. I know NTFS is primarily a Windows file system format, and while I can easily read the files from the drive on my Mac, I'm unable to write or save any changes to it. I'm looking for a solution or method that would allow me both to read and write to this NTFS drive on Mac seamlessly . Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

PS:  When trying to choose the best NTFS reader for Mac, what factors should be considered to make an informed decision? 

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Symonds1905 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Ah,  this is the age-old Mac and NTFS saga.  No worries, you're not the only one to run into this. Mac does not support NTFS write by default. In order to Write to NTFS Drives on a Mac, you have two options: third-party Software, free extension or format the drive to exFAT.

1. Free extension: If you're more into the DIY or don't want to spend cash, there are open-source solutions like macFuse and NTFS-3G. They're a bit more hands-on, but hey, they're free!

2. Third Party apps: There's some cool software out there that bridges this gap. This is the easiest way to read and write NTFS drive on Mac. Here is the step-by-step guide of writing NTFS drive on Mac with SysGeeker NTFS Reader:

https://www.sysgeeker.com/how-to-read-write-ntfs-drive-on-mac.html

sysgeeker ntfs geeker.png

3. Use exFAT: If you're not stuck with NTFS and want a filesystem that both Mac and Windows play nice with, consider reformatting your drive to exFAT. It's a good middle ground.

How to Choose the Best NTFS Reader for Mac:

When you're hunting for the best NTFS tool for your Mac, think about:

Performance: Some tools can make your transfers snappier than others. You don’t want to wait forever to transfer a movie, right?

Compatibility: Ensure it's updated frequently to work with the latest macOS versions.

Ease of Use: Some tools are plug-n-play, while others require a bit more tech knowledge. Depending on how tech-savvy you feel, choose one that won't give you a headache.

Support: Paid options often come with better support. So if you think you might need help, consider that.

Price: Some are free, some are one-time purchases, and others have subscription models. Find what fits your budget.

Hope this helps, buddy! Good luck, and may the tech odds be ever in your favor. 

@Symonds1905 

A number of NTFS for Mac tools could solve your problem, helping you to edit, delete files on NTFS drive from your Mac.  Among these choices, Paragon and EaseUS have the good reputation of being highly quality, so I recommend one of them more.  

https://apps.apple.com/lv/app/easeus-ntfs-writer/id6468982811

Dingtalk_20240311153016.jpg

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Symonds1905 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Ah,  this is the age-old Mac and NTFS saga.  No worries, you're not the only one to run into this. Mac does not support NTFS write by default. In order to Write to NTFS Drives on a Mac, you have two options: third-party Software, free extension or format the drive to exFAT.

1. Free extension: If you're more into the DIY or don't want to spend cash, there are open-source solutions like macFuse and NTFS-3G. They're a bit more hands-on, but hey, they're free!

2. Third Party apps: There's some cool software out there that bridges this gap. This is the easiest way to read and write NTFS drive on Mac. Here is the step-by-step guide of writing NTFS drive on Mac with SysGeeker NTFS Reader:

https://www.sysgeeker.com/how-to-read-write-ntfs-drive-on-mac.html

sysgeeker ntfs geeker.png

3. Use exFAT: If you're not stuck with NTFS and want a filesystem that both Mac and Windows play nice with, consider reformatting your drive to exFAT. It's a good middle ground.

How to Choose the Best NTFS Reader for Mac:

When you're hunting for the best NTFS tool for your Mac, think about:

Performance: Some tools can make your transfers snappier than others. You don’t want to wait forever to transfer a movie, right?

Compatibility: Ensure it's updated frequently to work with the latest macOS versions.

Ease of Use: Some tools are plug-n-play, while others require a bit more tech knowledge. Depending on how tech-savvy you feel, choose one that won't give you a headache.

Support: Paid options often come with better support. So if you think you might need help, consider that.

Price: Some are free, some are one-time purchases, and others have subscription models. Find what fits your budget.

Hope this helps, buddy! Good luck, and may the tech odds be ever in your favor. 

View solution in original post