SOLVED

Multiple applications have stopped working, since upgrading to Windows 10 version 2004

Iron Contributor

On August 8th I upgraded my Windows 10 Professional desktop to version 2004 (it had been at 1909). It was notified that the upgrade was ready, so I proceeded to go through with the upgrade.

At first I thought things were OK, but a few days ago several applications stopped working entirely. This seems very suspicious. For example, I have a Microsoft 365 Family license (formerly Office 365 Family Edition). All of the Office apps have stopped working!!! Just to go over a few of them, every time I log into Windows I'm presented with this message from Skype:

Skype errorSkype error

Both Word and Outlook give me the following whenever I try to open either of them:

2020-08-14 (b).png

This morning a new problem presented itself. I have Windows Terminal installed. I was using it just yesterday. I cannot use it at all now, as whenever I try to use it I get this error:

2020-08-15.png

And Spotify will no longer launch. I've tried clicking on my Spotify shortcut, nothing at all happens. No error, no warning, no popup, nothing. 

What has happened to my machine????????? What in heck can be done about it?????????

10 Replies

@Rod Falanga 

First use the Windows wizard for troubleshooting

On the Windows "Start" window (bottom left), click the left button with the mouse. then go to settings. Click on Update and Security, then click on Troubleshoot in the left selection window. Also click on additional Troubleshooter and click Troubleshoot program compatibility. Run troubleshooter.

If the problem persists, please

Try to install KB4566782 (OS Build 19041.450) again.
Here is some information about it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4566782/windows-10-update-kb4566782

Windows 10 KB4566782 Direct Download Links: 64-bit and 32-bit (x86).

If the problem persists, please

the download microsoft update assistent windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Normally the problem should then be resolved.
If not then you should have a look at the PC. For example: When were new drivers or BIOS updated, how much RAM does it have, mode, type, etc. to see whether the problem is on the PC and cannot get used to Windows 10 (2004).

If you find this helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer" and as Like (click thumbs up), it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Hello @Rod Falanga,

This is one of the known issue on V2004:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/resolved-issues-windows-10-2004#435msgd...

You can resolve it by installing KB4557957. Directly download KB4557957 from Update Catalog.

Hope this helps!

@Kapil Arya what you've suggested looks very promising. I went to the Microsoft Doc link you provided ("Resolve issues Windows 10"). It says that Avast resolved the issue. That the problem, if I understand it correctly, was caused or at least were related to drivers for either Avast or AVG. I don't have either of those anti-virus software. So, should I do this anyway?

First download Microsoft "Fix-it"-Tool for Windows
Run tool.

If that doesn't solve the problem
Try to set your Windows back to the previous version and then update to the 2004 version with the Windows update wizard.

here a Link: Recovery options in Windows 10
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

If that doesn't solve the problem
then download Windows 10 Update Assistant and update Windows again to 2004.

It is not the fastest solution, to be sure you would have to have a PC or log in via TeamViewer or other software to see where the problem could be. But only your technicker of trust can do that, not me.
So you can try to get everything back to normal without having to reinstall everything.

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino
I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Hi @Rod Falanga,

I recommend you to proceed installing the update anyway, see if it helps. 

If issue still persists, and if it has been less than 10 days to your upgrade, you can downgrade back to previous version. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Go back to previous version > Get started.

Regards.

I've got more to add. Now, when logging into Windows on my desktop, it has become very slow. About 6 weeks ago I changed out my old hard drive, replacing it with an SSD. I noticed a big increase in speed, logging in, start-up, etc. Everything was much better. I didn't time it, but I'd say fromn the moment I wented my PIN to log in, until Windows was ready to use, was somewhere in the 5 to 8 second range.

No more. Tonight, I timed logging into Windows, after entering my PIN. 35+ seconds!! That is abysmal. And I don't have anything start up automatically, such as Outlook (which doesn't work for me now anyway), Skype, MS Teams, Zoom, nothing starts automatically. I like Windows to come up barebones, then I go from there.

Additionally, and this is very strange, tonight I discovered that my daughter could use Word. (Again, remember we have a Microsoft 365 Family license.) She was in there, editing files on her OneDrive, etc. Why is she able to use Office apps, but I can't?

Just a reminder, I cannot use many applications. I cannot use Spotify, Notepad++, Visual Studio, Outlook, Word, Excel, Zoom, FileZilla, Acrobat Reader, etc., etc., etc. Why is it that my daughter can, but I cannot??? I've a software engineer, I NEED to have the ability of running Visual Studio, Excel, MS Teams, Slack, etc., I think it is odd that my daughter is able to, wutout any problems, but I cannot. Why is that???

Hi @Rod Falanga  

Maybe your user is somewhat damaged. 

Try to create a new local administrator user and login with it. 

See if something changes.

@Spigolo I think you are onto something. When I replaced the old HD with a new SSD in this PC, about 6 weeks ago, I set my wife up as an administrator on this PC. I just logged into her account. She can easily run Word, Excel, etc. All Office 365 apps. I didn't try things like Spotify, Visual Studio, etc., because she hasn't set that up on her account and she's not a developer.

So, going with this as a working theory, what can I do to diagnose this problem further? What other evidence would my PC exhibit, if my account/profile is somehow messed up?

best response confirmed by Rod Falanga (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Rod Falanga  

The symptoms are there to show, there's no other way to check a user profile. 

Let's suppose your current user is rod and the new user is falanga 

Open a Command prompt (admin) and type: 

net user falanga yourpassword /add 

net localgroup administrators falanga /add 

xcopy %userprofile%\desktop\*.* c:\users\falanga\desktop\ 

repeat for any other folder which contains useful info (pictures, documents, music, downloads and so on) 

Just a bit of caution, if you have folder backup set to Onedrive (which I recommend) the commands for the following folders will change like this:

xcopy %userprofile%\onedrive\desktop\*.* c:\users\falanga\desktop\ 

xcopy %userprofile%\onedrive\pictures\*.* c:\users\falanga\pictures\ 

xcopy %userprofile%\onedrive\documents\*.* c:\users\falanga\documents\ 

Check this before by right clicking the Onedrive icon in application bar, Settings, Manage backup. 

Then, in Settings/Account, change rod to local user.

Disconnect rod and log in with falanga. 

Also in Settings/Account connect falanga to your Microsoft Account and you should be done. 

Probably some apps will need some settings to be redone, but the main part is transferred. 

When you're happy with the new profile, you could delete the old one. 

Feel free to ask questions if something is not clear.

@Rod Falanga  

Symptoms are clearly there, I don't know any method to check user integrity if not empiric. 

Let's suppose your actual user is rod and the new user is falanga

What you have to do is open a Command Prompt (admin) and type:

xcopy %userprofile%\desktop\ c:\users\falanga\desktop\ 

repeat for any folder including useful info (Documents, Downloads, Pictures and so on) 

Just be careful, if you backupped crucial folders to Onedrive (which I approve and recommend), 3 commands will change like this:

xcopy %userprofile%\onedrive\documents\ c:\users\falanga\documents\ 

xcopy %userprofile%\onedrive\pictures\ c:\users\falanga\pictures\ 

xcopy %userprofile%\onedrive\desktop\ c:\users\falanga\desktop\ 

Check before, by right clicking Onedrive icon in the application bar, Settings, Backup tab, Manage backup. 

You might want also to change rod to local user in Settings/Account

Restart or Disconnect and logon with falanga. 

In Settings/Account, link this user to your Microsoft Account. 

You're mostly done.

Some apps could require their settings to be redone, but the main part is already transferred.

Don't forget to substitute your actual user and password in my examples. 

Feel free to ask if something is not clear. 

Note: I already posted such a reply, but for unknown reasons it'll not show. Could be it'll appear all of a sudden. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rod Falanga (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Rod Falanga  

The symptoms are there to show, there's no other way to check a user profile. 

Let's suppose your current user is rod and the new user is falanga 

Open a Command prompt (admin) and type: 

xcopy %userprofile%\desktop\*.* c:\users\falanga\desktop\ 

repeat for any other folder which contains useful info (pictures, documents, music, downloads and so on) 

Just a bit of caution, if you have folder backup set to Onedrive (which I recommend) the commands for the following folders will change like this:

xcopy %userprofile%\onedrive\desktop\*.* c:\users\falanga\desktop\ 

xcopy %userprofile%\onedrive\pictures\*.* c:\users\falanga\pictures\ 

xcopy %userprofile%\onedrive\documents\*.* c:\users\falanga\documents\ 

Check this before by right clicking the Onedrive icon in application bar, Settings, Manage backup. 

Then, in Settings/Account, change rod to local user.

Disconnect rod and log in with falanga. 

Also in Settings/Account connect falanga to your Microsoft Account and you should be done. 

Probably some apps will need some settings to be redone, but the main part is transferred. 

When you're happy with the new profile, you could delete the old one. 

Feel free to ask questions if something is not clear.

View solution in original post