Microsoft Applications Crashing When Opening in Windows 10

Iron Contributor

The tech support can't seem to figure out why my Microsoft Applications like Office 2021 Excel, OneNote, Word, as well as MS Project and MS Visio end up occasionally crashing when I go to open a file with them.  In reviewing my application error event logs I've had my Microsoft applications crash 27 times between 7/14-7/21.

The techs uninstalled and reinstalled the applications and it made no difference.  Any ideas anyone?  Is it a windows problem contributing to the issue or issue with the applications?

6 Replies

Hi @JBLT-77 

Of course, you have the latest version of Windows10?

Sometimes you need to download updates in the Microsoft Store, you can also check the Defender firewall ( add an allowed application )

Is it a private computer or managed in your organization?

Perform a full antivirus scan.

@A1 yes windows is current.  Computer is managed by my organization. Not sure what Microsoft store would have to do with anything since my Microsoft office applications weren’t obtained through the store.  Windows defender shows all green and I can’t make any firewall changes.  Only Admin can.   I reviewed the firewall allowed apps though, wasn’t quite sure the name to look for.   I did t see any of the Microsoft apps that periodically crash on me in the allowed apps list though.

@JBLT-77 

Not sure what Microsoft store would have to do with anything since "

Updating the Microsoft Store environment is necessary and affects many processes in Windows, e.g. language packs, etc.

It is best to report the problem to the administrator to check it, it is also important to check other computers in the organization.

In this case, you can only report it to the IT department, since you have limited permission and no access to the configuration

1. Disable your antivirus
2. Disable the Firewall
3. Check the time & date
4. Reset the apps
5. Reset the Microsoft Store process
6. Clear Microsoft Store cache
7. Re-register ownership on Microsoft Store and Apps

Check all this, May help you.

Regards,
James

@Jameswalter I don't think some of this I can do. I don't have admin rights on my work computer so I can't disable windows defender services.

• What Time & Date am I supposed to check where? 
  • What do you mean by reset apps?  Do you mean uninstall and reinstall, which was actually already done by the admins?
  • I'll have to look up how to reset microsoft store process and clear store cache.  Although I'm not sure why the Microsoft store would have anything to do with the apps crashing since OneNote and Office, and Project and Visio didn't come from the Microsoft store.

By the way, they just gave me a brand-new computer and I was hoping the problem would go away with the new computer, but my Microsoft applications are still periodically crashing on my when I attempt to open a file.

Here are the details of one of the Application Error events generated when MS Project crashed on my today.  Maybe something here points to the underlying cause?

Faulting application name: WINPROJ.EXE, version: 16.0.14332.20345, time stamp: 0x62bfc802
Faulting module name: mso20win32client.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x62b257be
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000001845f8
Faulting process id: 0x2bb4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8a132451ede93
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\WINPROJ.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office16\mso20win32client.dll
Report Id: af6228b6-d615-489b-a213-2964bba544da
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: