SOLVED

Login issues

MVP

Hi,

One of my friends has an issue with their Windows 10 PC. When they bought it all worked fine but then they started using the mail app and while doing this they mistyped the email address.

They typed something like: firstname.lastname@home.com rather than firstname.middlename.lastname@home.com. The problem now is that firstname.lastname@home.com is a non existing email address. 

The PC now doesn't let my friend login anymore as the Microsoft account isn't valid ( but it does exist, but I can't login with it)

when I try to login with firstname.lastname@home.com on live.com then I'm gettig messages like:

You have tried to login too many times with either an invalid account or password.

I've tried to recover the microsoft account by adding an existing email address to the but then I need to supply details like skype contacts etc. Skype was never used with this account. same for the Xbox option etc. And I'm getting emails saying that I didn't supply enough information. So this isn't going to work.

I tried to create the email address firstname.lastname@home.com however the provider supporting home.com has recently changed to xyz.com and doesn't allow me to create any home.com email addresses anymore.

So then I tried creating a new Microsoft account with firstname.lastname@gmail.com. This account now exists but I can't add the email address firstname.lastname@home.com as it's already in use. 

I found that linking accounts or merging account apparently isnt supported for a while. Is there any other approach I could possibly go for. I'm running out of ideas.

Is there a way to use any microsoft account to login to a Windows 10 PC? or to add a microsoft account to a windows 10 PC? 

I've not got a access to a Windows 10 PC that isn't connected to a domain.

So I'm not sure how I can possibly fix this. My friend lives many miles aways.

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Pieter Veenstra (MVP)
Solution

I suppose the bultin admin account was not activated, correct?

Then you can try to activate it using one of the many tools you can find on the Internet (see for example https://www.lifewire.com/free-windows-password-recovery-tools-2626179).

After that, you could delete the wrong account and recreate a correct one.

Hope it helps...

@Salvatore Biscari 

I have tried the above steps and it worked. But the link you have mentioned above is leading to an error page. So I decided to research and write an updated blog with the latest free software to help the community. https://randomtools.io/blog/6-free-windows-password-recovery-tools/

Methods to fix the login issue-

Method 1: Restart your computer

The first thing you should immediately try is restarting your computer. If you can get to the log in screen, click on the power icon in the bottom-right corner of the screen, then choose “Restart.” This is going to restart your computer and help you verify that the issue is still present.

Otherwise, use the physical “Reset” button on your PC. If you don’t have this button, press the “Power” button you use to turn your PC on.

Method 2: Run the Startup Repair tool

Many users report that merely running the Startup repair tool helped them restore the Windows 10 login. This tool is accessible to anyone; however, it requires a few extra steps to run than regular Windows troubleshooters.

We’re here to help. Follow the steps outlined below and run the Startup repair tool.

Turn off your device, then press the power button to turn it back on. As soon as you see that Windows 10 is starting, hold the power button until your device shuts down again. Repeat this process until you enter winRE.
When in the winRE interface, you should see the “Choose an option” page.
Navigate through Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Automatic repair. It may also be listed as “Startup repair.”
Wait for the process to finish and try to log into your Windows 10 system again.
Method 3: Boot your computer in Safe Mode
How to boot your pc on safe mode

Many Windows 10 users have reported that before troubleshooting this issue, you should boot your device up in Safe Mode.

Turn off your device, then press the power button to turn it back on. As soon as you see that Windows 10 is starting, hold the power button until your device shuts down again. Repeat this process until you enter winRE.
When in the winRE interface, you should see the “Choose an option” page.
Navigate through Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings → Restart.
Your device should automatically restart itself. The next time it boots up, you’ll see a list of options. Choose option 5 from the list for Safe Mode.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez
instead of downloading an app to unlock the admin account, juist open a terminal (admin) window and type this command:
net user administrator /active:yes to unlock the account, and net user administrator /active:no to lock it back down.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Pieter Veenstra (MVP)
Solution

I suppose the bultin admin account was not activated, correct?

Then you can try to activate it using one of the many tools you can find on the Internet (see for example https://www.lifewire.com/free-windows-password-recovery-tools-2626179).

After that, you could delete the wrong account and recreate a correct one.

Hope it helps...

View solution in original post