Locked out of Windows 10

Copper Contributor

Hi, my Dad is locked out of his laptop because he put the local pw in too many times with caps lock on. It said wait two hours with it switched on but after 6 hours still says the same and won’t accept the correct password. He’s tried rebooting too. I don’t know what to suggest. Please can anyone help. :folded_hands:

5 Replies

Hello @LizzieC333,

See if this fix helps you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-this-sign-in-option-is-disabled-because-of-failed-sign-in-attempts-or-...

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

@Kapil Arya thanks so much for your reply. The sign in actually worked ok after another few hours so he logged in ok. I’ll keep a note of your blog though in case I need it in the future. It’s probably not something I could do on the phone with him though as he’s in his 80s and we’re not in the same country! Really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Hi @LizzieC333 

I think a pin of 4 digits in a local account would be the easiest to remember.

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows (microsoft.com)

Thanks yes I’ll sort it out when I next visit.
Yes, but after changing the way you sign in to a local account -> you need to sign in to the application with your Microsoft account ( Microsoft Store and Edge )
Then everything will be fine!
Best regards