is Windows 10 crashing after fresh build?

Copper Contributor

Hi everybody, new to this forum, hope I am posting the right place. I built a new PC lately, and have been having issues. Let me explain.
Recently I purchased a new mobo and CPU, and used most of my old parts. I put it all together, and installed Windows 10. Everything worked perfectly. 30 minutes into using windows lightly, I jammed in two usb drives at once... and she croaked. My PC had froze up. This continues to happen when I use Windows. Now lately, a blue screen would apper with the error code CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. Help me guys!

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 w/ cooler included
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
GeForce GTX 1060
550w PSU (now 700)
2x4GB Ballistix Sport LT 2400MHz
1TB HDD
500GB SSD

What I have tried so far (not in order)
-Switching RAM slots
-Switching order of RAM sticks
-Adding a tiny extra thermal paste
-Ran tests on CPU (everything seemed fine)
-Updating windows (Crashes before it is finished downloading)
-Updated BIOS (twice)
-Increased CPU voltage
-Replaced 550 PSU with 700 PSU
-Unplugged HDD and instead installed Windows on SSD
-Installed mobo drivers
-Install GPU driver (will not update until Windows is updated)
-Made sure the standoffs werent interfering with mobo

These are the only causes I can come up with:

1. GPU is defective
  2. RAM is defective

3 The first PSU was defective, and permanently damaged components, making the second PSU ineffective.

Any suggestions I am willing to try. Thank you.

It's worth noting that I do not experience issues in places like BIOS or Windows Setup. Only when I actually using the OS does it happen.

5 Replies
Hi,
when you updated your BIOS, did you reset everything back to their default values?
if not or to make sure, reset everything in BIOS to default.

The CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error simply means that the processor is having difficulties with its cores and threads. A thread is essentially a task, which is undertaken by a core, each core on the processor is capable of handling numerous threads simultaneously.

also it could be that your HDD/SSD is infected by malware, try doing a full scan at highest level using Kaspersky security cloud free:
https://www.kaspersky.com/free-cloud-antivirus

I personally use it, so even if Windows Defender had a 0.01 chance of not being able to find something, that Kaspersky full scan will take care of it.
but remember to Fully update the Antivirus before doing the scan to get the latest virus info from the cloud.

@suyupuru . If memory dumps files are created means, upload files to google drive or to onedrive .

and paste the shared links here.

i want to analysis those files 

Spoiler

@RAJUMATHEMATICSMSC wrote:

@suyupuru . If memory dumps files are created means, upload files to google drive or to onedrive .

and paste the shared links here.

i want to analysis those files 

Sorry but are you a Microsoft employee? because crash dump files contain personal information about the user and their activities, documents etc and I don't think giving them to unauthorized people or even worse, posting them online is a good idea.

@HotCakeX I am not from microsoft, Just like you, i am normal user. So dont give those files.

Do  this method , just boot the windows into safe mode and work for one hour, see if PC crashes again appeared or not 

Whocrashed free can also provide useful info about the crash/BSOD
https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed