I've VERY concerned about this notice, what do we do about it?

Iron Contributor

About a year ago, when upgrading my Windows 10 system to 1803 (I think), it went wrong. It messed up my Windows profile on my machine, by failing to restore it during the upgrade from the temporary profile it created, to the proper profile. I lived with it for a year, but several applications stopped working, etc. Last weekend I went through the pain of replacing the HD with an SSD, and reinstalling Windows, just to get rid of it. I never want to go through that again.

Well, the same sort of thing seems to be threatening my wife's computer. There's this message that appeared on her machine when she logged into Windows this morning:

Why is this showing up?Why is this showing up?

Why is this showing up? Why would she want to set up Windows Hello, Microsoft 365 subscription, OneDrive, etc., when we've already got all of that stuff???????? This is the sort of thing I ran into when the upgrade to my system happened a year ago. I do not want to go through that again, screwing up her's, mine, other of our family's profiles, etc.

We have consistently clicked on the "Skip for now" link, just to avoid disaster, but I KNOW that popup will come back to haunt us. How do we handle it without it screwing us up?

4 Replies
Hello
Recently this "welcome" window also showed on my personal computer. This is usually coming when your pc does some Windows updates. So normally you really don't have to be concerned about this window since it's always possible to skip it. But there is an option to disable this, described here: https://www.ghacks.net/2019/08/09/how-to-disable-get-even-more-out-of-windows-on-windows-10/#:~:text....

@niklastinner Thank you for your reply. It looks the most promising. But I wonder what happens when I do get a significant update to Windows? Such as the Windows 10 2004 update, which I'm sure I'll get at some point in the next few months. If I uncheck the box, will it prevent updates like that from happening?

@Rod Falanga If you uncheck the option it should not come anymore. Of course when updating to a major feature update like Windows 2004 you may will run into an OOBE (out of the box experience, this is when you recieve a new device and setup keyboard, network and earlier cortana). But its not that hard, just follow it once and its all set up. (of course you will only have to make new settings in oobe, basically the existing options are still saved > e.g. keyboard layout)

@Rod Falanga I am not sure what experience did you had but even if you switch to Microsoft Account, anytime you could switch back to local account and you won't lose any data or you shouldn't face profile failure. In case you do, you may ask forum and we will help you out.