I've tried to extend volume but it failed.

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have tried to extend the volume to c: , but it seems invalid.201809281155.png

I've also tried diskpart command ,but it seems the free space couldn't be found.201809281204.png

What the else could I do?

8 Replies
Hi, you cannot extend past the recovery partition (volume 3), record the detail of the volume and partition in diskpart (sel vol 3 - det par - det vol). Assign a drive letter to the volume and capture the image with DISM, delete volume 3 and the partition, extend C leaving enough space to recreate the recovery partition (or use shrink in the GUI or in DISKPART). Recreate the partition in DISKPART and use SET in DISKPART to update the attributes etc, format the volume, assign a drive letter and apply the saved image with DISM. Finally remove the drive letter from the recovery partition and you should be where you want to be. I can provide help with the other commands if you need. Good luck, Steve_N
You have to delete partition 3 first, then you can extend.

delete recovery partition then create new recovery partition at end of the disk or on other disk

Thanks for replying.

I had deleted the partition by executing "delete partition override" , and it has worked well so far.

How do you create from scratch a recovery partition?

How can you create a recovery partition?

My notebook has automatically rebuilt an OEM partition since I deleted the recovery partition.

So I don't bother to build a new recovery partition.

In DISKPART use SHRINK to get 500MB at the end of the disk then in DISKPART;
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery tools"
assign letter="R"
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001

# END
Add recovery tools to R: and reboot.