Tech Community Live: Windows edition
Jun 05 2024, 07:30 AM - 11:30 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

I need a Windows 10 password recovery / reset tool

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone! I'm reaching out for a bit of help after finding myself in a sticky situation. I've somehow managed to forget my Windows 10 login password, and I'm currently locked out of my computer. I'm kicking myself for not setting up a password reset disk or linking my Microsoft account for an easy recovery. I know there are various tools and methods out there for resetting or recovering Windows passwords, but I'm a bit lost when it comes to choosing the safest and most effective one. Does anyone have recommendations for reliable Windows 10 password recovery or reset tools? I'm looking for something that can help me regain access without risking any data loss or compromising my system's security. Any guidance or advice would be hugely appreciated!

PS: Is Windows 10 recovery tool and reset tool the same tool?

——————————————————————————————————————————

[Update] - Thanks to a fantastic recommendation from Christopherly_1320, I used the iSeePassword Windows Password Recovery tool to reset my forgotten Windows 10 login password. The process was straightforward and, importantly, didn't lead to any data loss or security issues for my system. I'm back in my computer now, all thanks to this great advice!

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Diederichs_Hiao (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Diederichs_Hiao 

There are a couple of tools and methods that have a solid reputation for being safe and effective when it comes to recovering or resetting a Windows 10 password. Here I recommend 3 free Windows 10 passowrd recovery /reset tools.

1. Ophcrack: This is a free tool that can recover your password by using what's known as rainbow tables. It's pretty effective, especially if your password isn't incredibly complex. The interface is user-friendly, and there are plenty of guides out there on how to use it.

2. Offline NT Password & Registry Editor: Despite its mouthful of a name, this tool is a powerhouse for resetting your password. It's not as user-friendly as some other options since it's text-based, but it's very effective. It basically removes the password without needing to know it, allowing you to set a new one upon next login.

3. Windows Password Recovery Pro:  This one isn't free, but it's highly recommended for its ease of use and effectiveness. It can reset lost or forgotten local account passwords on Windows 10 and other versions. It's a bit more user-friendly compared to the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor and supports a wider range of Windows versions.

Step-by-step tutorial:

https://www.iseepasword.com/online-help/windows-password-recovery.html

reset_password.jpeg

Before you use any of these Windows 10 password reset tools, here are a couple of quick tips:

• Always download software from the official site or a trusted source to avoid malicious versions.
  • If possible, try these methods on a computer or device you're not afraid to mess up (just to get the hang of it before you tackle your locked computer).
  • Consider creating a password reset disk or linking your Microsoft account after you regain access to prevent this situation in the future.

Each tool has its pros and cons, so you might want to read up a bit more on them before deciding which one to use. And remember, while there's always a risk when using third-party tools, sticking to well-reviewed and widely used options minimizes that risk significantly.

A Windows 10 password recovery tool is a utility that allows you to reset or recover the login password for a Windows 10 computer, in case you forget it. There are several methods to create such a tool or use existing solutions to reset your password. Here are some common approaches:

1. Windows 10 Password Reset Disk
Before you forget your password, Windows 10 allows you to create a password reset disk which can be used to reset your password. It's a proactive measure. To create one, you'll need a USB flash drive. Here's how to create it:

1. Insert a USB flash drive into your computer.
  2. Type "password reset" in the search box on the taskbar, and select "Create a password reset disk."
  3. In the Forgotten Password Wizard, follow the on-screen instructions to create the disk.

Note: The password reset disk must be created before you forget your Windows password.

2. Using the Windows Installation Media

If you don't have a password reset disk, you can use Windows installation media to reset your password. Here's a general overview of the steps:

1. Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's official website and use it to create an installation USB drive or DVD.
  2. Insert the media into the affected computer and boot from it. You may need to change the boot order in your BIOS settings.
  3. On the Windows Setup screen, press "Shift + F10" to open a Command Prompt.
  4. At the Command Prompt, type the following commands to replace the Utility Manager (utilman.exe) with the Command Prompt (cmd.exe).
  5. On the Windows 10 login screen, click the Utility Manager icon. The Command Prompt will open.
    To reset the password, type the command: net user yourusername yournewpassword replacing yourusername with your actual username, and yournewpassword with your new password.

@Diederichs_Hiao 

To reset your Windows 10 password, you can try the following methods:

Method 1: Password Reset Disk (requires prior setup):

1:On the Windows 10 login screen, click "Reset Password."
  2: Connect your password reset disk to the computer.
  3: Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your password.

Method 2: Command Prompt:

1: On the Windows 10 login screen, press Shift key while clicking on the "Restart" option.
  2: This will take you to the Advanced Startup Options menu.
  3: Select "Troubleshoot" and then "Command Prompt."
  4: In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and press Enter:
  net user username newpassword
  (Replace "username" with your actual Windows user account name and "newpassword" with         your desired new password.)
  5: Close the Command Prompt and restart your computer.
  6: Login with your newly set password.

Method 3: Third-Party Password Reset Tools:

As mentioned earlier, there are various third-party tools available like "Windows Password   Recovery Tool", "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor", "Ophcrack" and some paid software.   These tools can be used to reset your Windows 10 password, but it's important to ensure their     reliability and use them responsibly.

@Diederichs_Hiao 

First off, if you haven't tried the basic "I forgot my password" option on the login screen (assuming you're connected to the internet and have previously set up a Microsoft account), give that a shot. It'll walk you through resetting your password online.

But since you mentioned you're looking for Windows password recovery USB tools because that's not an option, here are a couple of safe and reliable methods:

1. Ophcrack: This is a free tool that's pretty handy for recovering Windows passwords. It uses something called rainbow tables to crack the password. It's a bit of a hit or miss depending on the complexity of your password but definitely worth a try. Just download the ISO, burn it to a USB or CD, boot from it, and follow the instructions.

2. Offline NT Password & Registry Editor: This one's a bit more technical but super effective. It doesn't recover your password per se but lets you reset it. Download the bootable CD image, burn it to a USB drive, and boot from it. Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your password. The interface isn't the prettiest, but it gets the job done.

A couple of quick tips when using these tools:

• Back up your data first if you can access your hard drive by other means (like booting from a Linux USB and copying files off). Just to be on the safe side.
  • Read the instructions carefully on the tool's website before you start. They usually have step-by-step guides.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Diederichs_Hiao (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Diederichs_Hiao 

There are a couple of tools and methods that have a solid reputation for being safe and effective when it comes to recovering or resetting a Windows 10 password. Here I recommend 3 free Windows 10 passowrd recovery /reset tools.

1. Ophcrack: This is a free tool that can recover your password by using what's known as rainbow tables. It's pretty effective, especially if your password isn't incredibly complex. The interface is user-friendly, and there are plenty of guides out there on how to use it.

2. Offline NT Password & Registry Editor: Despite its mouthful of a name, this tool is a powerhouse for resetting your password. It's not as user-friendly as some other options since it's text-based, but it's very effective. It basically removes the password without needing to know it, allowing you to set a new one upon next login.

3. Windows Password Recovery Pro:  This one isn't free, but it's highly recommended for its ease of use and effectiveness. It can reset lost or forgotten local account passwords on Windows 10 and other versions. It's a bit more user-friendly compared to the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor and supports a wider range of Windows versions.

Step-by-step tutorial:

https://www.iseepasword.com/online-help/windows-password-recovery.html

reset_password.jpeg

Before you use any of these Windows 10 password reset tools, here are a couple of quick tips:

• Always download software from the official site or a trusted source to avoid malicious versions.
  • If possible, try these methods on a computer or device you're not afraid to mess up (just to get the hang of it before you tackle your locked computer).
  • Consider creating a password reset disk or linking your Microsoft account after you regain access to prevent this situation in the future.

Each tool has its pros and cons, so you might want to read up a bit more on them before deciding which one to use. And remember, while there's always a risk when using third-party tools, sticking to well-reviewed and widely used options minimizes that risk significantly.

View solution in original post