How to remove "Some settings are managed by your organization" on Windows 2019 DC

Copper Contributor

One of our clients has upgraded their Windows 2012 R2 DC to 2019. The Windows Update shows  "Some settings are managed by your organization". They wanders how remove this message. I have tried these.

wallcap10.JPG

1. Run gpedit.msc and make sure All Settings are No configured.

2. Run  gpedit.msc. Enabled Allow Telemetry wit 3-Full. Then disable. I tries that a couple times and run gpupdate /force.

3. Changing Registry Setting: changed NoToastApplicationNotification vvalue from 1 to 0.

4. Changed Privacy" -> "Feedback & diagnostics from Basic to Full. 

None of them fixes the problem. Any suggestions?

39 Replies
Hi,
What do you see when you select "view configured update policies"?
also you could try Windows server community
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-server/ct-p/Windows-Server

This screenshot

Thanks, and you are sure that the server is not joined to Windows insider program?

But he is using Windows Server 2019 as a domain controller, not sure a simple harmless message is worth nuking that whole domain controller and other parts that rely on it.

Hi @Bob Lin,

When you applied a policy for Windows Update, you would get that warning. That's normal.

Could you check group policy configurations below which applied to your domain controller OU or Local Group Policy on your Domain Controller:

1. In Group Policy Object Editor, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Windows Components, and then click Windows Update.

2. In the details pane, click Configure Automatic Updates

3. Change all of the enabled configurations from Enabled to Not Configured

@hasanemresatilmis 

@hasanemresatilmis wrote:

Hi @Bob Lin,

When you applied a policy for Windows Update, you would get that warning. That's normal.

Could you check group policy configurations below which applied to your domain controller OU or Local Group Policy on your Domain Controller:

1. In Group Policy Object Editor, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Windows Components, and then click Windows Update.

2. In the details pane, click Configure Automatic Updates

3. Change all of the enabled configurations from Enabled to Not Configured

But the OP said there is no policy configured:

dsdsa.jpg

am I the only one that actually reads the post?

because I'm also looking for a solution to this and so far, nothing

After searching online, this is my conclusion: It could be your System Administrator disabled Windows Update manually. This message is just a warning and shouldn’t cause any issues or limitations. 

Here is collected resolutions.

Why my Windows shows “Some settings are managed by your organization”

@Bob Lin 

All this information is wrong wrong wrong! Easiest fix is to delete the WindowsUpdate registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

I will post a step by step perfect way to do this later tonight or tomorrow.

All the answer is to open gpedit Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> All Settings .
Sort by State then anything that is set to enabled change it to not configured.

@jsmithteamiisPMP 

Thank you! After long searching for countless days!  This worked best for me.

@Bob Lin 

I was having the same problem with a users laptop.

I tried the group policy settings but nothing there helped.

I used the registry settings to clear up the problem by comparing it to my own settings that worked.

I removed the keys under:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WIndows\WIndowsUpdate\AU

except for the default:

rdominguez_0-1623954114552.png

How do I get rid of it for the safe search
Can somebody please explain in details, step by step with good grammar please.

@jsmithteamiisPMP this does not work for my machine as I have all things in "not configured" state, yet the windows update still says that it's managed by my organization

@jsmithteamiisPMP

this solution worked for me.  It help that you showed me where to go in GPedit.msc.  A few other posts just said to go the Gpedit but not  "Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> All Settings ."  Thanks

Just tried deleting this registry key, and after a while looking for an answer, finally this worked. Thank you so much!

I have a similar problem. After disabling WSUS server and removing the associated GPO. It seems that the GPO is still active because I am still seeing the message “*Some settings are managed by your organization” on all my DC, servers and Windows 10 clients. I have ran gpresult /h gpreport.html and checked resultant set of policy. I am unable to detect where the GP is still be applied. Any help will be appreciated.

@jsmithteamiisPMP 

I have done this -- "Nothing" is set as you mention - everything in the ALL SETTINGS is set to "Not Configured".  This is a brand new (about 10 days old) Server 2019 install that I will be setting up to be a Domain Controller for my home.  I am one of those folks who hates to see any WARNING or ERROR in the event viewer and messages like this one - which make no sense.  :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I think I have finally gotten all of the errors out of the Event Viewer (DCOM and such) - now this one.  has been bugging me since this OS was installed.  I am fully updated....and I hate responses of "you can safely ignore it."   As there has to be a reason for it, and a way to fix it.  

Much Thanks,

Curtis