SOLVED

How do I get AD Users and Computers installed again?

Brass Contributor

I used to have Active Directory Users and Computers installed on my Windows 10 Enterprise machine. I don't have it installed anymore. Talking with Tech support here at work, they told me that it was removed when we upgraded to Windows 10 version 1903. They recommended that I take the following steps:

1. Open regedit
        Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Set UseWUServer value to 0

1. Restart the computer

1. Immediately open Settings
        Navigate to Features -> Optional Features -> Add A Feature and select RSAT Active Directory Domain Services & Lightweight Directory Services Tools

My problem is I don't have any  Microsoft hive under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies

So, do I just create new folders, starting with a folder named Microsoft at that hive? Or is there a better way?

2 Replies

Hi @Rod Falanga 

The reg key change they've asked you to make is to get the computer in question to update from Windows Update (like consumers) rather than a centrally managed WSUS update server - not sure why they would want to do this as it sounds from your description than this is a corporate machine, and afaik where you get your updates from doesn't have any bearing on the availability of RSAT. If you try to install RSAT AD DS from your optional features, what happens? Does it show an error message?

The registry will have a Microsoft key already - it possible that the particular account you are using to open up reg editor does not have permissions to view it for some reason.

best response confirmed by Rod Falanga (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@HidMov one of the IT techs came by and ran a PowerShell script, which did something that allowed AD Users and Computers to be installed again. Sorry, I don't know that script, so can't share.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rod Falanga (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@HidMov one of the IT techs came by and ran a PowerShell script, which did something that allowed AD Users and Computers to be installed again. Sorry, I don't know that script, so can't share.

View solution in original post