SOLVED

How can I create a macOS bootable usb on Windows 10?

Copper Contributor

I'm currently trying to create a macOS bootable USB drive from a Windows 10 machine. Despite searching extensively, I haven't found a straightforward process or guide that explains how to create a macOS bootable USB on Windows 10, especially for someone not familiar with Terminal. Can anyone guide me through the steps or recommend reliable tools or methods tailored for Windows 10 users that can help achieve this without needing extensive Terminal knowledge? Your guidance would be invaluable.

Update:  Thanks to Benkuyte, who recommended using UltraDMG . Following their advice, I was able to navigate the process much more smoothly than anticipated. 

ultradmg_import_dmg.jpg

Now, I can install the latest macOS Sonoma on my MacBook.

sonoma_install.jpg

The solution offered by UltraDMG was straightforward and perfectly suited for someone like me, looking to accomplish this without deep Terminal knowledge. Highly recommended!

2 Replies
See if this Apple support article helps you:

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201372
best response confirmed by Bauer2260 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hey there! Creating a macOS bootable USB from Windows 10/11 can be a bit tricky, especially if you're not keen on command-line interfaces. But I get it, and I'll try to make this as easy as possible for you! Let's dive into the steps:

1. Download macOS DMG file

First things first, you'll need the macOS installer file, which usually comes as a .dmg file. Search the macOS version name (e.g. macOS Monterey dmg file) and download the dmg file on your PC.

macos dmg file.jpg

2. Install SysGeeker Ultradmg

Ultradmg is a Windows software that can copy files to and from Mac HFS+ and APFS formatted drives. It's particularly handy for creating macOS bootable USB on Windows. You can get it from their official website.

https://www.sysgeeker.com/online-help/ultradmg.html

3. Connect a USB Drive to PC

Plug in your USB drive (at least 16GB is recommended). Make sure the drive name is showing up in the file explorer. Please backup the USB as all data will be erased after burning.

4. Create a Bootable macOS USB from .dmg File

Open Ultradmg app on Windows 10 and click the Burn menu. After that, important the macOS .dmg file and select the USB name. Next, click the Burn button. This will write the macOS installer to the USB drive. It will take some time as the dmg file is quite large, so maybe grab a coffee!

burning.png

5. Install macOS from Bootable USB

Once done, safely eject the USB drive from Windows. Now, plug the USB into the Mac where you want to install macOS. Turn on the Mac while holding the Option key until you see the boot menu. Choose the USB drive from the list, and it should boot into the macOS installer!

install macos from usb.jpg

Keep in mind that while this process is generally safe, there's always a slight risk when creating bootable drives and installing operating systems. Make sure to back up any essential data, and if you run into any issues, feel free to ask!

Hope this helps you out! Good luck with your macOS installation!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bauer2260 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hey there! Creating a macOS bootable USB from Windows 10/11 can be a bit tricky, especially if you're not keen on command-line interfaces. But I get it, and I'll try to make this as easy as possible for you! Let's dive into the steps:

1. Download macOS DMG file

First things first, you'll need the macOS installer file, which usually comes as a .dmg file. Search the macOS version name (e.g. macOS Monterey dmg file) and download the dmg file on your PC.

macos dmg file.jpg

2. Install SysGeeker Ultradmg

Ultradmg is a Windows software that can copy files to and from Mac HFS+ and APFS formatted drives. It's particularly handy for creating macOS bootable USB on Windows. You can get it from their official website.

https://www.sysgeeker.com/online-help/ultradmg.html

3. Connect a USB Drive to PC

Plug in your USB drive (at least 16GB is recommended). Make sure the drive name is showing up in the file explorer. Please backup the USB as all data will be erased after burning.

4. Create a Bootable macOS USB from .dmg File

Open Ultradmg app on Windows 10 and click the Burn menu. After that, important the macOS .dmg file and select the USB name. Next, click the Burn button. This will write the macOS installer to the USB drive. It will take some time as the dmg file is quite large, so maybe grab a coffee!

burning.png

5. Install macOS from Bootable USB

Once done, safely eject the USB drive from Windows. Now, plug the USB into the Mac where you want to install macOS. Turn on the Mac while holding the Option key until you see the boot menu. Choose the USB drive from the list, and it should boot into the macOS installer!

install macos from usb.jpg

Keep in mind that while this process is generally safe, there's always a slight risk when creating bootable drives and installing operating systems. Make sure to back up any essential data, and if you run into any issues, feel free to ask!

Hope this helps you out! Good luck with your macOS installation!

View solution in original post