How can I batch convert PNG to JPG on Windows 11 computer

Copper Contributor

I am looking for help to batch convert PNG images to JPG format on my Windows 11 computer. I need to convert a large number of PNG files to JPG to make it easier to share and upload to various platforms that do not support PNG or require the JPG format. I've explored various online tools, but many of them are either riddled with advertisements, impose file size limits, or don't support batch conversion. I would appreciate any recommendations for software or methods that can help me efficiently convert PNG images to JPG while maintaining their quality.

19 Replies
I understand that batch conversion of a large number of PNG to JPG files in Windows 11 can be problematic, especially when online tools are full of ads and limitations. For a smooth and easy-to-use experience, I recommend trying IrfanView. It's free, lightweight and perfect for batch conversions while maintaining image quality.

You can use the built-in PowerShell system utility to batch convert png to jpg on Windows 11.

# Load the PNG image
$bitmap = [System.Drawing.Image]::FromFile($pngFile.FullName)

# Save as JPG
$bitmap.Save($jpgFile, [System.Drawing.Imaging.ImageFormat]::Jpeg)
$bitmap.Dispose()

@Dixon795  Convertio API.

It is a very popular command line for converting png to jpg on Windows 11 or Windows 10. Open a Command Prompt or PowerShell window. Navigate to the folder containing the PNG files you want to convert using the cd command.Use the following command to convert all PNG files to JPG:

convertio -f  input.png output.jpg

Replace *.png and *.jpg with your desired file patterns.

1. Open File Explorer and navigate to the folder containing the PNG files you want to convert.
2. Select the PNG files by holding the Ctrl key and clicking on each file.
3. Right-click on the selected files and choose "Rename" (or press F2)..
4. In the "Rename" window, add ".jpg" to the end of each file name (e.g., "image.png" becomes "image.jpg").
5. Click "Rename" to start png to jpg conversion on Windows 11.

The Photos app is a native solution to help you convert png to jpg on Windows 11. You need first open the png file into the app and click the Save As option and choose jpg. However, you can only do this for one images at one time. Not possible to batch convert png to jpg.

Bulk convert png to jpg on Windows 11 using Photo Gallery:

Step 1: Choose the photos you want to convert, typically the entire newly created folder.
Step 2: Click on the Edit tab. and choose 'Resize'.
Step 3: In the Resize dialog, select Custom and set the maximum dimensions well above what your camera delivers (8000 should work).
Step 4: Specify the destination for the JPGs.

This process will create JPG copies of your photos and maintain their full size. The resize operation does not increase the size but keeps the photos at their maximum dimensions.

If you need to convert a single PNG file to JPG, using an image editor is an excellent method. Nearly any image editor for Windows can accomplish this. You can easily convert a PNG image file to a JPG using Windows 11’s Paint software (Save As feature).

If you'd like to use a third-party tool, please make sure to check the settings and options before converting your files to ensure you get the desired output. By the way, Image Converter Plus does a good job. As a lightweight and free tool that can batch convert PNG to JPG on Windows 11.

@Dixon795 

Why are you converting to PNG to JPG?I would advise against it as it's usually not very useful.PNG is a lossless file format.JPG is lossy and will have imperfections. The only reason I can think of for doing this is to archive images at a low resolution/precision to save disk space, is that correct?

Larger PNG images typically have bigger file sizes compared to JPGs. Converting PNG images to JPG using the methods described above in Windows 11 effectively compresses the picture files. This conversion reduces the image file sizes, freeing up drive storage space. You can choose any PNG to JPG conversion method that you prefer.

@Dixon795 

Text the photo to your home computer's email address. It will convert PNG to JPG from your cell phone.

I have no clue why this works, but it does.

I even created a contact for myself on my phone with just my email address for situations like this.

Remember, you need to send it as a text message.

I've used Convertio before to batch convert PNG to JPG, and while it worked well for small projects, I encountered some issues when trying to convert larger files or batches of files. The file size limit was a major limitation for me, and I had to upgrade to a paid plan to get around it.
Convertio has a 100MB file size limit for free users. If you have larger files or need to convert a large number of files, you'll need to upgrade to a paid plan or use a different tool to batch convert PNG images to JPG on your computer.

@Dixon795  If you have PhotoShop installed on Windows 11 PC, then it is quite easy to convert PNG to JPG with it.

1. Launch Photoshop from the Start Menu or a desktop shortcut.
  2. Go to File > Open... or press Ctrl + O.
  3. Once the PNG file is open, go to File > Save As....
  4. In the Save As dialog box, choose the location where you want to save the JPG file.
  5. In the Save as type dropdown menu, select JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE).
  6. After selecting the JPG format, click Save.
  7. A JPEG Options dialog box will appear. Here, you can adjust the quality of the JPG file. Higher quality means a larger file size.
  8. Set the desired quality level and click OK. This will start converting PNG to JPG.

@Dixon795  PNG2JPG is an online tool or software designed to convert PNG to JPG for free. This type of tool is useful when you need to change the image format for compatibility reasons, reduce file size, or for other specific requirements. 

Click the "Upload Files" button or drag and drop your PNG images onto the designated area on the website. The website will automatically start converting the PNG files to JPG format. Once the conversion is complete, you can download the JPG files to your computer.

This tool is particularly useful for users who need a quick and hassle-free way to convert PNG images to JPG format without installing additional software.

Photoshop is an amazing tool, but it's not exactly designed for batch for batch processing. It's a powerful image editor, not a conversion powerhouse. If you've got a large number of files to batch convert PNG to JPG on Windows 11 computer, you might find yourself stuck waiting for ages while Photoshop processes each one individually.
You're looking to batch convert PNG images to JPG on your Windows 11 computer using the command line? That's a bold move! I've tried this method before. If you're working with a large number of files, the conversion process can take a long time. You might need to wait hours or even days for all your files to convert, depending on your computer's processing power and the complexity of the conversions.

I saw what JodyCourt recommended, it's super easy! You don't need to download any additional software or plugins. Just follow these five simple steps, and you're done. It's a great way to quickly convert PNG files to JPG if you need to share them online or use them in a project.

Another benefit is that it's super fast! The renaming process is almost instant, so you won't waste any time waiting for conversions to complete.

@Dixon795  ILoveIMG is an online image editing and conversion tool that offers a variety of services, including the ability to convert PNG files to JPG format. It is known for its user-friendly interface and a range of features that make image processing tasks simple and efficient.

To convert .png to .jpg, click the "Select images" button to upload PNG files from your computer. Once your PNG files are uploaded, click the "Convert to JPG" button. After the conversion process is complete, click the "Download JPG images" button to download the converted files to your computer. You can also upload images directly from Google Drive or Dropbox by clicking the corresponding icons.

ILoveIMG is a great PNG to JPG converter that provides a quick and efficient way to handle image conversions, making it an excellent tool for both personal and professional use.